At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention on any device and on their own time. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people's lives, we believe Pocket has challenges ahead that will excite you.
With millions of people discovering and consuming content across the Pocket platform, our community generates one of the most unique and interesting sets of data on the web. We are looking to expand our team to help achieve our mission of advancing access to and discovery of high-quality, personalized content across the web.
We're a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on hundreds of millions of users, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
As a part of our Internship Program, you will:
- Be mentored by a fellow teammate and someone who shares the same values
- Do real work on real projects and make contributions that will impact hundreds of millions of users
- Participate in social events with your fellow interns (amusement parks, ice cream and boba socials, board game nights, escape rooms, and painting parties)
- Meet with Mozilla and Pocket leaders including our CEO, Executive Chairwoman, CPO, Chief R&D Officer, CMO, and Executive Foundation Director
- Present your work to leaders and fellow team members
- Market competitive pay
- Catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Housing service or housing stipend provided
- Flights and ground transportation to and from internship
- Work visas sponsored
- Attendance at our bi-annual All Hands Meeting
Application and Interview Process
- Recruiting begins in September, and we hire on a rolling basis through March. While there is no set application deadline, we do have a limited number of positions open each year, so please apply early!
- Process starts with a resume review followed by a HackerRank challenge (technical) or document submission (non-technical)
- Upon passing, you will partake in two technical and/or behavioral interviews with team members (coding and/or situational questions are fair game) followed by a hiring manager interview and ultimately, an offer decision.
User Experience Research Intern (San Francisco, CA)
Pocket is looking for a graduate student User Research intern to take on various projects within our Design and Research team. Interns will have the opportunity to work on User Research projects in the online publishing domain. As an intern, you’ll participate in research operations, work closely with designers and PMs, lead interviews, own a short research project from end to end, and bring new research methodologies to the table.
- Currently enrolled in a Master’s or other advanced degree program in Human Computer Interaction, Information Science, User Experience Design, Interaction Design, Computer Science, or a related discipline
- Graduation date starting December 2020 and onward
- User research methodologies
- Fluency with data and data visualization
- Some experience with UX/UI and graphic design
- Web design tools and languages
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organization, time management, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to interpret large amounts of data, multi-task, and produce results independently and collaboratively in a team
- Empathy for users, passion for using data to make product decisions, experience with user research techniques
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation and opportunity online.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to increasing diversity in our workplace.