Please note we are only accepting applicants from the UK.
Plum Guide is building a marketplace of the world's best holiday homes to remove the unbearability and unreliability of decision making when choosing your travel accommodation.
Ever tried booking a home? It’s hours of anxiety zooming in and out of photographs to inspect the home. Meticulously going over the details to see if they cover basic things like wi-fi and then spending ages trying to read between the lines of every review. Finally, cross-checking the price with 3 other platforms and wondering if there’s going to be extra charges on the checkout.
We want to reduce the hours of anxiety that it takes to find a suitable home into a few clicks to find the perfect home. Every single time you use the Plum Guide, you are confident that there couldn’t be a better option.
We do this by taking a data-led approach defining the best homes using ML to grade them. Then every property gets independently tested and reviewed by our hospitality critics as they collect 500 data points about the home: from wifi speeds to shower pressure. We’re big on data.
Some of the work done by the data team is:
We believe in creating the best experience for our guests and hosts while being able to move fast and operate at scale. This role will have a significant impact on improving our search experience as we move towards personalization and surfacing much richer data to our users. There will be a need to create numerous models/algorithms that work in a real-time environment.
Additionally, there will be work developing a dynamic pricing model for our hosts which enables them to generate the highest ROI possible.
This role will be in the Data team but there will be significant collaboration with the Product & Tech team to implement these solutions.
One of the responsibilities of this role is to enable our Search to rank homes in the most optimal manner for a wide range of customer types. We want to be able to show each user the right types of homes at the right time in order to increase our chances of them buying. To do this we need multiple ranking indices including Personalisation.
To improve our ranking we also need to understand our inventory (homes) better. We currently have a similar homes model (carousel at the bottom of these pages) which determines how similar homes are to each other, but this needs to be improved with work such as home styles, price similarity (this is not static) and surrounding home data.
Lastly, we will need to increasingly need to support new products by providing data/feedback via API/Other Sources so we can enhance the user’s experience. This could range from helping a host determine what price to choose for their home, or whether a home is about to sell out and therefore we should encourage the user to buy. This is a growing work stream for our team.
For the above work, you will take ownership of nearly all aspects of the development process, from concept to development.
Finally, you will employ your skills to support the data team in other areas, such as:
- Analyse data for insights using a range of tools such as Python and SQL.
- Assist with understanding our A/B tests to gather all the insights from the test, not just the final result.
- General problem solving and idea generation for improved business performance and efficiency
- Present and communicate findings to stakeholders in compelling easy to grasp ways.
- Enhance our use of Google Cloud and Snowflake for maximum input for minimum effort
- Improve our ETL/ELT processes via DBT, Airflow and any new technologies.
Who we are looking for
You don’t need to have prior experience in hospitality or tech startups. The important thing is that you are:
- Ambitious and with a high standard for what is good enough.
- You care about getting stuff done. And when obstacles inevitably get in the way, you know how to hustle and think creatively in order to find a solution.
- Interested in working in a startup/scale-up across multiple projects rather than 1 single long project.
- Someone who thinks about impact and efficiency rather than what is the most interesting piece of work
- A self-starting learner, confident teaching yourself to do things you have never done before.
- Someone who’s a team player and a positive, motivated person to be around.
- Organized - able to project manage complex processes with multiple stakeholders.
We understand that everyone has different experiences and skillsets and just because you might not fulﬁl all our requirements it doesn’t mean we won’t talk to you. Feel free to reach out and tell us about your Data Science experience and what you can bring to the Plum Guide.
- 1-2 years of experience working as a Data Scientist ideally in startup/scale-up, but more established businesses/roles are also welcome.
- High Proficiency in Python and experience with SQL.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- High attention to detail with a passion for building robust and reliable data sets.
- Passion to investigate new tools and technologies and develop your existing skillset.
- Excellent communication skills with a focused and pragmatic approach to delivering results.
- Nice to have
- Master’s or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field.
- Knowledge/practical experience in at least one of the following cloud platforms: GCP, Azure, AWS.
- Knowledge/experience of Big Data Frameworks (Apache Spark, Hadoop, etc).
- Competitive salary
- Choose your own hardware
- Work from Home
- We currently require everyone to be in the office 2 days a week (Tuesday and Friday)
- Work from home on Tuesday/Friday - 8 days a year - this allows you to work remotely for 4 weeks a year.
- Be surrounded by smart people who care about delivering
- Be part of a diverse, transparent and open culture that is autonomous
- Physical and remote outings, including our monthly ‘Plum Jam’
- “Friday@4” company updates with snacks and drinks
‘Plum Guide is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status’.