We are only taking applications for those people that are based in Telluride. Multiple positions are needed.
Home Critics are Plum’s ambassadors, and a fundamental part of building our collection of the world's best homes. You will be asked to visit and test the most beautiful vacation homes in your area, and assess if the home, and host, fit the Plum brand.
Each test will include:
- Interviewing the hosts and touring their home, and making sure they’re both up to Plum’s hospitality and design standards.
- Meticulously collecting over 150 pieces of information about each home and recording this information in our Test Document. This includes things like shower height and pressure, bed sheet thread-count, noise decibel levels, and WiFi signal.
- Creating a floor plan using the app Magicplan on your tablet.
- Collaborating with the Plum Guide photographer on what features to capture during the photoshoot.
- Identifying the home highlights and home truths (i.e. lowlights), and suggesting area attractions nearby (restaurants, cafes, museums, etc.).
- Writing a detailed, 100-word summary of the home for our team, with your final recommendation on whether it should be listed on The Plum Guide website.
Who we’re looking for
Our collection of homes is the foundation of the Plum Guide, and it is what differentiates us from everyone else. We welcome people who are as enthusiastic about design, hospitality, and detail as we are (join the club!). Please get in touch if you are:
- Passionate about design and hospitality: you have an opinion about what’s good enough, and what isn’t. You can intuitively spot what makes a home a Plum or a Prune, and are familiar with the core principles of interior design, architecture, art, photography, and design. Professional experience in a creative or design field is strongly preferred.
- Empathetic, with a high EQ: you’re a confident people-person and make a great first impression. You are eager to be the face of our brand, and want to build strong relationships to ensure an excellent host experience. You also keep the host in mind and are aware that you’re visiting their home and personal space, and you can keep this in the back of your mind as you’re conducting tests.
- Detail obsessed: you can put yourself in the shoes of a Plum guest and pick up on all the details that make or break their stay - unresponsive hosts, stains on the carpet, mould in the corner of the bathroom, unsuitable toiletries. No detail is too small, and nothing gets by you.
- An efficient self-starter: you are a go-getter, and eager to learn and contribute from day one. If you’re available, you’ll volunteer for a job, and you don’t like to sit still. You have high standards, but can get the job done quickly - we have ambitious growth targets and need home critics to submit their tests on time. Past freelancing experience is a plus.
- Punctual & Flexible: you’re organized and always on time for appointments and meetings. You’re an expert on navigating your city (familiar with public transportation, have a car or scooter, etc.), and can pick-up a last minute job, or weekend assignment.
- An excellent communicator: you are concise, clear, and reliable. You respond in a timely manner to emails, calls, and texts, and can easily communicate back and forth with the HQ team. You are also a skilled conversationalist, and can self-adapt and speak to a wide range of characters.
Why join the Plum team?
- Get paid to explore the most beautiful homes in your region
- Become a member of an expansive network of interiors experts, art & architecture fiends, and design aficionados
- Join a passionate, friendly and transparent work culture
- Work on your own schedule
- Have fun along the way!
The fine print
- This is a freelance position: we are looking for someone who can dedicate at least 3 months and 15 hours per week (about 4-10 tests per week).
- A solid grasp of the English language is required: while you don’t need to be an excellent copywriter, we are looking for Home Critics who are able to write in descriptive detail about homes or travel experiences, and who are able to communicate to our HQ team whether a home should pass or not.
- You own a tablet, iPad, or similar technology (this is required to create floor plans during the test).
- Lastly, we are aware of the current hesitations and restrictions around testing homes due to COVID-19. For more information on our safety guidelines, please ask during your interview.
The interview process
- After reviewing your application, our team will be in touch if we decide to move forward with your candidacy. In the second phase, you will be asked to complete 2-3 assignments that will give us a better idea of your skill set (this should take around 3 hours in total).
- The final step will be a video interview! We’re thrilled to get to know you better and hear more about why you’re excited to join our team.