Plotly is the creator of the leading visualization and application development software for data scientists, with over six million users and more than $12-million in venture capital and government funding. With offices in Montréal, Quebec, and Cambridge, Massachusetts, Plotly is a high-growth company that is transforming how scientists, engineers, and business analysts visualize data through precedent-setting open-source software. Our work culture engenders skill-sharing, work-life balance, and open discussion.
Plotly is searching for a motivated Support Engineer to join our 15+ person engineering team.
Reporting into our Customer Success department, you will be responsible for helping our enterprise customers implement, optimize, and use our commercial product offerings. This will involve debugging over phone and video calls, analyzing log files, creatively satisfying the constraints of highly varied customer environments, and discussing thorny technical issues with our software development engineers.
Our ideal candidate
- Works well in an open and collaborative environment
- Can autonomously drive their own work
- Communicates well both internally and externally
- Can work in our Montréal headquarters or has demonstrated success in a remote customer support role
Duties and responsibilities
- In collaboration with our Product Development team, give direct, in-depth support to customers installing, upgrading, and using our products
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the environments where Plotly customers deploy and use our products (on premise, AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Seek to understand customer needs and help them appropriately optimize the custom configuration of their Plotly Enterprise instances
- With the Engineering and Customer Success teams, develop ways to improve and streamline processes to help our customers quickly reach peak efficiency with our product
- Identify and communicate product and documentation improvements
- Familiarity reading and understanding code in at least one programming language, such as Bash or Python
- 4 years or more of Linux systems administration (bonus points for Red Hat Enterprise Linux) and general networking experience
- Basic understanding of client-server architecture in the context of web applications
- 1+ years of experience with Docker
- 2+ years of experience providing system-level customer support
- Preferred: some experience with one or more of reliability, testing, automation, observability, and performance work
- Nice to have: some familiarity with any of LDAP, SAML, Windows enterprise systems administration, Flask, Django, public cloud environments, and/or Kubernetes
- Ability to communicate clearly and positively with clients of various skill levels and backgrounds
- A sincere belief in the importance of following and producing good documentation
- Comfort with troubleshooting problems with only indirect access to customer environments
- Nice to have: an understanding of service level agreements and how to make a product offering meet them
Our Montréal office
- Great location in the heart of Mile End
- Updated, attractive, and dog friendly, with a well-stocked snack and beverage bar
- Catered office-wide lunches on Fridays
- Event space that hosts community meet-ups (e.g. Lighthouse Labs, R-Ladies, MTL Data)
Perks and benefits
- Flexible work hours and work-from-home policies, with the option of fully remote work for the right team member
- Competitive benefits package including health, paid time off, parental leave top-ups, and a stock option grant
Plotly is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. If you require any accommodations, please let us know in advance.
We’re looking forward to getting to know you!