Staff Engineer. The title means different things at different companies. At Pleo we want our Staff Engineers to be in a technical leadership role. What does that mean? While working within a team, you’ll spend a small portion of your time coding. Primarily within the Core Experience team, helping improve features that sit across all of the Pleo platform.
The other part of being a Staff Engineer at Pleo, we want you to be empowered to take a look across Pleo to identify, build and deliver systemic improvements to help everyone be better. The glue between engineering teams, helping facilitate the technical vision for an area and then helping people move towards that vision. A great staff engineer finds and identifies a niche that needs a champion, and improves it without oversight.
We’re investing into building sensible default technology solutions and golden paths to empower teams.
Mostly, we’re looking for people others can look up to and learn from - you’ll set the standard for the team, not just in code but in culture too. At Pleo our culture is pretty special to us, and we value trust and transparency like you wouldn’t believe.
Why is it so important to build such an adaptable frontend? Well we’re on quite the mission; 1 million empowered users by 2025; taking Pleo into all European markets in the next two years; new product features continually being launched or improved, and a lot more besides. Here at Pleo we’ve officially made the leap from start up to scale up, but we still stand by the values we built our product on; change the workspaces of tomorrow; trust and autonomy to all employees; decentralisation of decision making; delegation through ownership. We work on painful problems and try to solve them with a touch of magic. No expense reports. No time wasted.
We need someone to join this team of Pleo pioneers who isn’t afraid of the scope of the challenge, who thrives on scaling at pace, and who always has our customers’ needs at the forefront of their minds.
What you’ll do (a few more of the specifics):
- Advise product teams at Pleo on Frontend architecture and technologies – you’ll often be embedded in the product teams
- Influence and evolve the long term vision of Frontend at Pleo – you’ll innovate and implement at the same time
- Improve the development experience of our engineers by enabling fast feedback loops, reliable CI infrastructure, and the promotion of best-practices
- Own core functionalities, components, and tools in our Frontend platform that let product teams focus on building great experiences for our customers
- Help build and foster a company-wide community of people interested in Frontend engineering
You know your way around
- CSS, PostCSS
- Unit/Functional test skills
Your colleagues would say you
- Never stop being curious and love learning about new languages/ frameworks/ working styles
- Have experience solving complex technical challenges at scale
- Ensure a high bar for quality and reliability across Pleo
- Coach others to help them develop as engineers
- Advocate for a more thorough code review process than a quick scroll to the bottom of the page and a “LGTM!”
- You don’t just write code, you help to design the overall solution
- Are sought after within your company for helping in solving challenging problems
- You’re a force multiplier - your work enables other engineers to do be even better
- Help facilitate technical vision for an area and then help people move towards that vision - helping people get a clear understanding of where we want to go and then getting there
- Help deliver complex technical initiatives across the company
- Help be the voice of engineering while taking care to constantly improve the platform ecosystem, partnering and collaborating with folk across Pleo - not just engineers
- Take architectural ownership of various critical components and systems
- You are a Code Guardian - you care about building a platform that will be a few steps ahead of the business goals
- Are the glue within Engineering - doing the often needed, sometimes invisible tasks that keep Engineering moving forward and shipping work
- Collaborate across Product and Engineering teams to provide technical direction and architectural input into product development roadmaps
- Provide technical coaching and mentorship across engineering teams cultivating an environment of innovation and collaboration
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Lunch is on us - whether you are working remote or at one of our offices 🍜
- Private Health Insurance to ensure you’re fit of body and mind to do your best work
- Flexible work: working from home when you want, where you want, why you want to (we trust you)
- 25 days of holiday per year + your local public holidays
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶🏻
- €2500 annual Flex Benefits budget (maybe you want to buy additional holidays, pay for the gym, book a professional coach or pay part of your MBA - completely up to you!). We know everybody prioritises different benefits. So, our Flex Benefits package lets you choose what best suits you. Ask us about what we offer, we’ll be happy to outline more!
Why join us?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 800+ team, from over 100 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, or Lisbon offices —and quite a few full-time remotes in 35 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible and will fly you in for our amazing team camps ✈️
About your application
- Please submit your application in English; it’s our company language so you’ll be speaking lots of it if you join 💕
- We treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 😊
- We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
- When you submit an application we process your personal data as a data processor. Find out more about how your data is used in the FAQs section at the bottom of our jobs page.