Hey there! 👋🏽
So if you’ve found your way here, we take it you want to know more about our VP Engineering opportunity, right? Fascinating stuff! But first, maybe we should tell you more about what we do and why.
What we stand for is delegated company spending. And on the face of things, that might not sound exciting. But, to our customers and us, it really is. We believe that the way that work works today is outdated. We think that companies can delegate to their employees more - to support their autonomy and show them trust. To speak to this, we provide smart credit cards for businesses. No more expense reports, no more out-of-pocket spending. This puts trust in employees to buy what they need when they need it. Future of work stuff, you know?
That sounds like a pretty niche market, though, indeed? Not actually. Right now, we work with over 17,000 clients in the six markets in which we operate (Denmark, UK, Sweden, Germany, Spain, Ireland). The offering has proved successful amongst SMEs and is industry-unspecific, which has opened up a large market.
So the market is there, we've seen Pleo succeed in different locations and see a lot of potential, but we are nowhere near done. Pleo needs the best product to continue expanding, underpinned by a rock-solid technology foundation! And the time is now 💫
About the role:
Reporting to our CTO and becoming a member of our technology leadership team, you would be responsible for:
- Working closely with the CTO to setup Engineering organisation for scale
- Directly managing Engineering Director(s) / Manager(s) and overseeing engineering practice in several domains across Pleo (~150+ engineers and scaling quickly!)
- Optimising the organisation to rapidly, reliably, and repeatedly deliver quality products to the market with a customer-centric mindset.
- Continuously improving environment and processes for how we build our product
- Representing engineering in critical initiatives and projects within the department or across the company and ensuring they get delivered
- Designing the organisation, objectives and holding a high standard in people, delivery, and technology
- Leading with data at hand. Make everything in your organisation measurable and transparent, so we can see clearly what is going well and what is not.
We will totally geek out if you:
- You love to optimise systems. You know that a "perfect, one-size-fits-all way to run engineering is a myth". You look at everything that happens in engineering as a system, which can be constantly improved and optimised to maximise the outcomes.
- You grow (with) people. You surround yourself with people and drive the department together as a team. You know how to develop managers and how to coach & manage the team.
- You have previously built an engineering organisation that can drive company success. You don't see engineering as a function to make things it's told to build. Instead, you empower your teams to come forward with technology solutions that blend well with the product and business objectives and accelerate our ability to deliver great experiences to our users.
- You can drive strategic change at scale. With intense growth comes many new expectations and a lot of differences. You look a few steps forward and think about where we have to be to continue building a high-performing organisation.
- You care about customers and the quality of their experience. Everything we build is, in the end, designed to enable an excellent experience for Pleo users. You know how to connect the dots to work across engineering teams and ensure that we invest where we should make sure we can deliver quality software at scale.
Show me the benefits!
- Your own Pleo card (no more out-of-pocket spending!)
- Ability to work remotely (anywhere between the east coast of the Americas to European timezones)...
- ...or onsite if you want to (Copenhagen, Stockholm, London, Madrid, Montreal, Berlin, Lisbon)
- Lunch is on us - whether you are working remote or at one of our offices 🍜
- Private Health Insurance to ensure you’re fit of body and mind to do your best work
- Trips abroad for team camps. We’ve just been to Costa Brava, in Spain - we’d love to see you at the next one!
- 25 days holiday per year + your local public holidays
- Paid parental leave - we want to make sure that we're supportive of families and help you feel that you don't have to compromise your family due to work 👶🏻
- €2500 annual Flex Benefits budget (maybe you want to buy additional holidays, pay for the gym, book a professional coach or pay for part of your MBA - entirely up to you!). We know everybody prioritises different benefits. So, our Flex Benefits package lets you choose what best suits you. Ask us about what we offer; we’ll be happy to outline more!
And here are some other nice things to look forward to:
- Loads of weird and wonderful niche communities to join in the company (we're talking guerrilla gardening, liquids tasting, the Pleo band, learning to code initiatives, beer brewing, skiing, Pleo dinners, that type of thing)
- Wild enthusiasm and encouragement from us if you want to host MeetUps, events, etc. - we'll help (venue, food etc.)
At Pleo, we use English for all our internal communication to keep everyone on the same page; please submit your application in English unless otherwise stated above.
We’re on a mission to make everyone feel valued at work. That’s only achievable if our team reflects the diversity of the world around us - and that starts with you, hitting apply, even if you are worried you might not tick all the boxes! We embrace and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply - regardless of race/ethnicity, colour, religion, nationality, gender, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, socio-economic status, culture or beliefs.
Not everyone interviews the same: if you have accessibility needs that you would like us to know about, send an email to our Inclusion team at email@example.com and we’ll make sure to design an interview format that works for you.
Why work here?
Working at Pleo means you're working on something very exciting: the future of work. Through fintech we've seen a way to impact how people work; we think company spending should be delegated to all employees and teams, that it should be as automated as possible, and that it should drive a culture of responsible spending. Based on some pretty amazing Series C-round investment in 2021 we think we're onto something big.
So, in a nutshell, that's Pleo. Today we are a 500+ team, from over 54 nations, sitting in our Copenhagen HQ, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Madrid, Montreal, or Lisbon offices – and quite a few full-time remotes in 22 other countries! Being HQ'd out of Copenhagen means we're inspired by sensible things like a good work-life balance. If you don't work in the office with us we'll help you get up the best remote setup possible, and will fly you in for our amazing team camps ✈️
Things to look up about us
Sometimes, we win awards 🤩 🏆
If you want to know how we hire company-wide, there's a post on our blog.
Or have a sneak peek into what happens when get together for Pleo Team Camp on our YouTube 👈🏾
Check out what we think about the realities of working remotely on our blog.
No one says it quite like our customers. Hear what they have to say this week on Trustpilot.
Also, check out Glassdoor if you'd like to hear about us from other people.
PS. we treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our application system - any correspondence should come from there! Our lovely support isn't able to pass on any calls/ emails our way - and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone 🙂
By submitting your application, you consent to Pleo processing your personal data for recruitment purposes and to store such personal data for up to 24 months, unless we receive a request of erasure of the data from you, in case Pleo would like to contact you regarding future job openings.