Role: Sound Designer
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Creative Services Group (CSG) is an award winning centralised internal creative agency within PlayStation Studios. We endeavour to build a working environment where our people flourish and create their best work. Structured around eight core disciplines; Brand Design, UI/UX, Motion, Video, Film, Sound, Music and Programming, we deliver projects in collaboration with our game development, marketing and PR teams.
Reporting to the Principal Technical Sound Designer, the Senior Technical Sound Designer will work closely with the audio, music and programming teams to create, implement, maintain and debug complex audio playback systems within development titles. The ideal candidate has advanced experienced working with audio middleware (Wwise, etc.) and game engines, as well as being proficient with scripting tools, including node-based systems like blueprint, as well as languages like Python/Lua etc. Ideally the candidate also has some experience mentoring and managing junior colleagues.
Importantly, the ideal candidate thrives on bridging the gap between creative and technical implementation challenges. They should be keen to constantly deepen their own understanding of systems and workflows, as well as be passionate about driving and educating within a team. Must be excellent at communicating complex topics equally with both creative and technically minded audiences.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, implement and support complex interactive audio systems across multiple projects, using a range of engines and tools, incorporating sound design, music and voice
- Own and manage Wwise project organization across all areas, including setup, structure and optimisations
- Work along-side audio programmers and sound designers to drive and develop features and systems based on creative vision and current and future needs
- Define, apply, and educate best practices of technical audio workflows and systems
- Be an advocate for best in class interactive audio
- Collaborate with various disciplines (art, design, and code) to ensure audio systems are incorporated into all aspects of gameplay and fully realized
- Help define and realise the audio vision of the game set out by the audio leads
- Troubleshoot and debug audio tools, systems and functionality
- Provide technical support for sound designers across multiple projects.
- Design and implement high quality audio assets within the audio engine, game engine and pipeline
What we are looking for:
- A collaborator by nature – we value discussion and consensus
- Great communicator: excellent written and verbal skills
- Loves solving complex problems
- Well-organised, detailed orientated and maintains high standards
- Ability to cut through the noise to identify key requirements
- Passionate about process/workflow and matching skillsets to requirements
- 4+ years of Professional sound design experience in games industry in technical sound design role, or similar tech-focused audio role
- Expert Knowledge of audio integration in modern games
- Expert with Wwise
- Proficient with DAW (Reaper/Pro Tools etc)
- Proficient with visual scripting systems (e.g. blueprints)
- Strong attention to detail and great organizational skills
- Technical curiosity, creativity
- Skills with scripting in Python/Lua or similar
- Experience with Reaper, ReaScript, Extensions.
- Great creative sound design skills
- Basic knowledge of c++/audio programming principals is advantageous
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.