PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: PhD Internship - Research and Development (6m FTC)
Department overview: About the Future Technology Group
Future Technology Group are PlayStation’s technology experts. We research and develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best games on PlayStation by creating a world class SDK.
This is a 6-month PhD internship opportunity. As part of the Future Technology Group team, you will be working with small focused project teams researching and prototyping cutting edge technologies, and finding ways to apply them to our platform and services.
What you’ll be doing:
- Researching state of the art technologies
- Contributing to identifying and developing the technology portfolio of future PlayStation platforms
- Performing research and sharing information internally, in relevant conferences or publications
- Developing proof of concepts and cutting-edge technology prototypes
- Anticipating technology trends and applying these to improve our existing and future PlayStation products/services
What we are looking for:
- Pursuing or recently completed a PhD in Computer Graphics, Machine Learning, Computer Science or related field
- Availability to work in the team full-time for 6-months
- Research experience in Neural Rendering, Machine Learning based approaches to Graphics Rendering or Illumination solutions
- Passion for applied research
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Good problem solving skills with an analytical mind and logical approach
- Ability to work constructively as part of a larger team
- Ability to work proactively on your own
Nice to have
- Experience with modern Machine Learning technologies
- Hands-on experience working with deep learning toolkits such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, or Keras
- Strong coding and software engineering skills in a mainstream programming language; such as C, C++, Python, etc.
- Experience of Graphics pipelines and related technologies
- Experience in working in an R&D environment
- Experience with research communities, including having published papers at conferences
Benefits of working in the Future Technology Group
- Technology development is not constrained by specific games/engines. There is time and space to research and develop cutting edge technologies
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with R&D teams in Tokyo and in San Mateo, and with the wider Sony group
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons
- Opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills by learning about the latest techniques in a team of experts with a wealth of industry experience
- Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.