PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Principal Graphics Engineer – Research & Development
R&D are PlayStation’s technology experts. We develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best games on PlayStation by creating a world class SDK.
Reporting to the Manager of the SDK Game Technologies team, you will play a leading role in defining and delivering state of the art solutions for the global PlayStation developer community.
The SDK Game Technologies team helps developers to use PlayStation platforms in ways that are optimal for their games. We develop tools, libraries, and game-representative environments to analyse platform features and demonstrate advanced, state-of-the-art techniques and technologies.
What you’ll be doing:
- Take an active role in development work (design and implementation)
- Research state of the art graphics and game technologies
- Drive decisions about bringing the technologies to PlayStation
- Deliver technologies for developers as part of the SDK
- Opportunity for mentoring and technical leadership of a small team of engineers
What we are looking for:
- Strong C++ and graphics programming skills, with experience of the latest low-level graphics APIs on PC/console (e.g. DirectX12, Vulkan or platform SDKs for current-generation consoles)
- Experience of game engine systems (e.g. memory management, task management, streaming)
- Experience of low-level coding, performance analysis and optimization
- Experience of current generation console development
- Experience working at a senior level in a game development environment
- Comfortable with shader programming on modern GPUs
- Good understanding of computer hardware architecture
- Forward thinking, and keen to be at the forefront of the next generation of consoles
- Strong technical background in maths or computer science, educated to at least degree level or with equivalent experience
- Good people skills, and able to mentor more junior members of staff
- Good presentation and communication skills
Nice to have:
- Modern GI/raytracing techniques
- Physically based rendering pipelines
- Virtual Reality
- Experience implementing research papers/reports
Benefits of working at R&D
- Technology development is not constrained by specific games/engines. There is time and space to research and develop cutting edge technologies
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with R&D teams in Tokyo and in San Mateo, with the wider Sony group, and with academia
- Opportunities to attend relevant conferences (e.g. SIGGRAPH)
- Innovation time for research and projects of your own choosing
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons
- Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.