PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognised as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Role: Video Streaming Engineer
About the Future Technology Group
Future Technology Group are PlayStation’s technology experts. We develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best games on PlayStation by creating a world class SDK.
Working closely with different teams within Sony Interactive Entertainment, you will play a leading role in defining and delivering state of the streaming solutions on the PlayStation platform.
What you’ll be doing:
- Maintain an existing streaming library used in the PlayStation SDK and system software
- Support a video player technology on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
- Take a leading role in new development work (design and implementation)
- Research state of the art streaming and broadcasting technologies (ex: low latency streaming, low bitrate video quality enhancement, Quality of Services/Experience…)
- Drive decisions about bringing the technologies to PlayStation
- Deliver technologies for internal and external developers
What we are looking for:
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Experience developing video streaming technologies (Smooth Streaming, HLS, DASH)
- Experience implementing standard and/or research papers/reports
- Experience working at a senior level in a game development environment
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Forward thinking, and keen to be at the forefront of emerging industry standards
- Strong technical background in computer science, educated to at least degree level or with equivalent experience
- Good presentation and communication skills
Nice to have:
- Understanding of video encoding and media delivery systems
- Good understanding of video player technologies and codecs
- Knowledge of Quality of Service/Experience
- Experience of current generation console development
- Experience with real time communication protocols (WebRTC, SRT)
- Machine learning knowledge and experience
Benefits of working in the Future Technology Group:
- Opportunities to work on collaborative global projects with teams in Tokyo and in San Francisco, with the wider Sony group, and with academia
- Opportunities to attend relevant conferences (e.g. IBC)
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons
- Opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills by learning about the latest techniques in a team of experts with a wealth of industry experience
- Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.