PlayQ is a rapidly growing global entertainment and technology company delivering high-quality mobile titles and innovative game development solutions to a worldwide audience. Our games have been downloaded more than 60 million times across the globe, with millions of users playing every day!
Our dedicated teams, based in downtown Santa Monica, CA, work together to craft the clever, visually stunning, and unforgettable experiences that our players love. Our emphasis on individual leadership means each team member has the opportunity to make a big impact, while our commitment to creative freedom gives them the ability to create whatever they can imagine.
It’s this mindset that has led us to develop our own IP, infuse games with rich storytelling, build our own development tools, and solve the deepest technical challenges - all in the name of disrupting the mobile gaming landscape.
Why you'll want to come to work:
PlayQ is looking for a talented Senior 3D Environment Artist to join our close-knit and collaborative team of artists. This position offers an exciting opportunity to work with an expert level art team bringing cutting edge visuals to our pipeline of new games.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for working directly with our Art and Game Engineering team to implement beautiful environments and props within the Unity engine. Responsibilities for this role will range from constructing various aspects of the gaming environment like terrains, props, and models to delivering optimized game assets for use on a mobile platform. You'd be an ideal candidate for this role if you have mastered the skill of translating 2D concepts into stunning in-game visuals.
This is an off-site, contract position with competitive pay, based on experience. The position requires 40 hours per week, which includes creating environments and collaborating with our cross-functional team.
**Please note: As part of our interview process, qualified candidates will be expected to complete an art test.
What you'll get to create:
- Create environments in tight collaboration with Concept and Design teams
- Create 3D assets and textures in line with the project's artistic and technical direction
- Integrate assets and textures produced into Unity game engine;
- Verify the quality of your work once imported into the game, and make improvements when necessary
- Understand and apply graphic principles
- Implement lighting and environmental effects.
- Create optimized real-time low-poly mobile game assets
- Model, texture and render high-poly 3D models.
What you'll bring to the team:
- 5-7+ years of digital art/3D experience
- Experience working with Unity game development pipelines and tools
- Expert understanding of Maya/Max and Photoshop
- Strong understanding of Mudbox or ZBrush
- Exceptional high-poly and low-poly modeling skills
- Strong knowledge of materials and lighting
- Ability to work with a team or independently
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Experience modeling high-poly characters
- Experience using Substance Painter
- Concepting and 2D art skills
- Strong knowledge of node based shaders
If you gotten this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in PlayQ's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways—not just candidates who check all the boxes.
What we can offer you:
- Remote Work Environment - This position offers the flexibility to work remotely. You’ll closely collaborate with our HQ team based in Santa Monica, CA and our global teammates across the world. Our flexible approach, internal comms, and tech stack promote collaboration, communication, and camaraderie!
- Competitive compensation
- Work remotely with flexible hours
- Collaborate with an exceptionally talented, knowledgable, and supportive team!
- Help build and support awesome GAMES. For a living! Who doesn't love games?
Interested? Please get in touch!