PlayQ is a rapidly growing global entertainment and technology company delivering high-quality mobile titles and innovative game development solutions to a worldwide audience. Our games have been downloaded more than 60 million times across the globe, with millions of users playing every day!
Our dedicated teams, based in downtown Santa Monica, CA, work together to craft the clever, visually stunning, and unforgettable experiences that our players love. Our emphasis on individual leadership means each team member has the opportunity to make a big impact, while our commitment to creative freedom gives them the ability to create whatever they can imagine.
It’s this mindset that has led us to develop our own IP, infuse games with rich storytelling, build our own development tools, and solve the deepest technical challenges - all in the name of disrupting the mobile gaming landscape.
PlayQ is seeking a Senior Game Engineer to work within a small team to design, develop, and maintain our latest project. You must be experienced with Unity 5, object- and component-oriented design principles, asset bundles, and script writing in C#. You must be a team player and work well in a collaborative environment.
A well-qualified candidate will be someone who has experience creating games in unity for both iOS and Android.
- Implement new gameplay features in Unity, integrate backend and third-party technology, and general development support for various legacy and future titles
- Work with our production team in sprint planning and with product owners to help inform the setting of short- and medium-term development goals
- Work with leadership and engineering colleagues to design software systems and architectures at all scales
- Contribute to the planning, architecture, and implementation of core front-end technology used across multiple games
- Independently identify and resolve fragilities or inefficiencies in both project structure and development processes
- Be a strong voice for software quality, robustness, and future-proofing
- Mentor junior colleagues and contribute to company development
- B.S. in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years game development experience
- Must have published at least one Android and/or iOS app
- Solid understanding of Agile development, continuous integration systems, software-as-a-service, and source control
- Proficiency in C#, object oriented programming, and component oriented architectures
- Extensive experience with Unity, including non-game loop features such as asset bundles, shaders, particle systems, and editor tool creation
- A habit of writing super-clean, encaspulated, testable, and well documented code
- A desire to work very closely with a small, high-energy team of designers, QA, and programmers
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to learn and stay up with industry changes
- Ability to work on fixed deadlines
- Experience using mobile platform native features such as push notifications
- Experience implementing and/or creating native iOS and Android plugins for Unity
- Good understanding of AWS and other significant backend platforms
- Strong commitment to stability, performance, & outstanding user experience
- Understanding of 2D and 3D and ideally have gone through a full product cycle – from concept to shipping and post launch support in a role that included both architecting game systems and tracking down bugs.
- Thrive on learning new technologies; excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Eager to engage in subjects outside your core responsibilities such as game design, company development, or prototyping
- Competitive compensation and equity options
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance
- Flexible time off
- 401K plan with company match
- Stocked kitchen with free snacks and beverages of your choice
- Catered weekly team lunches
- Brand new penthouse office space equipped with outdoor patios offering beachfront views
- Monthly team outings and volunteer opportunities
- Help build and support awesome GAMES. For a living! Who doesn't love games?
Interested? Please get in touch!