PlanetX is building a consumer-facing ESG knowledge graph that provides consumers and merchants with a transparent, trusted, authenticated rating on eCommerce sites. The goal is to bend consumer spending toward products that do good, responsible things for people, society, and the planet.
We aim to grow and foster a loyal community around a decentralized rating system and to introduce ratings on billions of products from millions of companies.
Our team is a top-notch group of experts in software, loyalty program strategy, fintech, cryptocurrency/blockchain, cleantech and sustainability. The founding team’s combined experience includes multiple companies founded and successful outcomes. This is an excellent opportunity to join at the ground floor of a company focused on making an enormous contribution to the future of environmentally and socially responsible ecommerce spending.
JOB TITLE: Lead Product Design
About the position:
PlanetX is looking for an experienced Lead, Product Design to be a leader of a team of interaction and visual designers who craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences.
The Lead and the team will directly contribute to a new experience that translates the massive power of our technology into simple and elegant solutions. We believe our industry is complicated, but we don’t believe our platform should be.
As the first Lead Product Designer at PlanetX, you will have a unique opportunity to shape our platform that will be used by thousands of people across the globe. You will be important not just to the Product team, but to the company as a whole.
- Manage, coach, and inspire a team of designers, by providing vision and direction. You will manage a handful of Sr. Managers as well as individual contributors
- Translate business strategy into product strategy
- Own the design roadmap and execute design strategy
- Manage product profitability and commercial success – own the business case
- Provide insight to stakeholders on the product and market
- Provide product marketing with insights on key differentiators and messages
- Write high-level requirements
- Oversee high-quality work in a fast-paced, complex, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Establish and enforce effective design processes that scale
- Lead through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
- Establish trust with cross-functional partners and executive leadership
- Partner with product managers, researchers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements and provide creative, thoughtful solutions
- Help the team explore a variety of design directions, analyzing the pros and cons of each
- Ensure the designs create a cohesive and coherent product experience, utilizing design patterns
- Occasionally create your own design artifacts to communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process such as wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
- Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
- Conduct and participate in design reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
- Regularly present to Sr. leadership and Executive staff, using your excellent communication skills and design artifacts to effectively negotiate and persuade
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, or related field. Master’s degree a plus
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience as a manager of interaction and visual designers and 5+ years in individual contributor roles, designing products and services across multiple platforms
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process
- Strong communication skills to describe issues and solutions to various audience
- Proven experience overseeing all elements of the product development lifecycle
- Previous experience delivering finely-tuned product marketing strategies
- Exceptional writing and editing skills combined with strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Experience with E-commerce, financial, ESG technologies is a plus, but not required