Why PlanetScale Design Studio?
The PlanetScale Design Studio is a small-but-mighty team with outsized impact. As a company, our holistic focus on design gives our product and our go-to-market strategy an edge in the industry. As the design team, that value means we don’t have to fight for “our seat at the table”: we have the responsibility and autonomy to deliver excellence. We practice close collaboration in weekly Figma-and-VS-Code jam sessions, allow enough room to actually play and explore alongside shipping, and foster a healthy environment for respectful design review to make work we’re all proud of.
You’ll join fellow Brand Designers and Design Engineers to translate product concepts and values into engaging touchpoints like websites and landing pages, swag, event collateral, educational content, social content, videos, and more. You’ll get your hands dirty at every level of the process, from pitching glamorous concepts to exporting production assets. We both know you have the technical design chops to produce good work — we value your point of view as a creative leader, too. Your day-to-day collaborators are fully remote across the U.S. and Europe, so we communicate clearly (synchronously and async) while we share work early and often.
What’s the job to be done?
- Delivering intentional end-to-end visual design work to build the PlanetScale brand, from strategic concept generation to post-ship refinements
- Collaborating with the marketing, product/engineering, revenue, and executive leadership teams in our mission to market the best database platform
- Designing solutions for a variety of stakeholders, including internal self-serve tooling and customer-facing work to drive brand awareness, community trust and engagement, and key business metrics
- Owning and evolving a cohesive visual style, voice, and tone toward a dynamic brand architecture
These attributes best describe you…
- You have a strong vision as a big-picture thinker and storyteller
- You take initiative to make tactical decisions based on company goals you’ve internalized
- You lead by example to improve team performance and team dynamics as a natural mentor
- You are a T-shaped generalist and you value flexing (and strengthening) all your design muscles
What you will need
- 6+ years of experience on an interdisciplinary design team
- A portfolio of work with examples of art direction and visual design for digital products
- A “self-starter” desire for autonomy and an ability to manage time between multiple initiatives (it’s a startup — we move quickly!)
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
What else will help you be successful
- Exposure to relational databases or software development tooling
- Experience shaping and leading design strategy
- Illustration, animation, and/or motion graphics experience (2D and/or 3D)
- Experience working in a remote organization
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you need any accommodations, please inform our Talent Acquisition team upon initial contact. We are happy to accommodate!
Total Compensation and Pay Transparency
An employee’s total compensation consists of base salary + variable comp where appropriate + benefits + equity. A member of our Talent Acquisition team will be happy to answer any further questions when we engage with you to begin the interview process.
Salary Range: $145,000 | $171,000 | $196,000