We build our platform on top of Vitess, built by our co-founders at YouTube and Google. We also provide enterprise support for customers running Vitess in their environment.
We are looking to hire founding members of our Professional Services team at PlanetScale to support expanding the use of Vitess to a larger group of enterprises. Your job is to take a customer from zero, to deploying on PlanetScale, to successfully running their business on it.
What's the job to be done?
- Helping customers migrate from their on-prem or in-cloud database environment to the PlanetScale DBaaS
- More concretely:
- Leading workshops with application owners, application engineers, database engineers and operation engineers from PlanetScale customers.
- Working to understand how they use, and want to use their databases.
- Translating their needs into concrete steps and milestones for their migration.
- Help customers along this migration journey, together with our support team, while being the primary technical point of contact for the customer until they are ready to go to production.
These attributes best describe you...
- You are as comfortable leading technical interactions with customers in a meeting or video call, as you are digging into details on a whiteboard and diving into code.
- There are no problems a customer could encounter during deployment and migration that are too complex for you to analyze, understand and then think of ways to try and solve them.
- You have experience owning the technical success of deployment and migration projects from beginning to end.
- You are an expert at designing solutions that balance customer requirements and technical realities, and are able to communicate complex ideas effectively and with efficiency.
- You are as comfortable at helping a customer engineer or DBA with their SQL queries, as presenting project tasks and timelines to their CTO.
What you will need
- Experience with MySQL or experience in PostgreSQL and a willingness to level-up on MySQL in a short amount of time.
- Previous experience in customer-facing consulting or support.
- Strong communication skills.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the major cloud IaaS platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes.
- Some networking background; we are often pulling up tcpdump traces to debug problems.
- Programming experience. While you will not be programming full-time, the ability to pinpoint problems by navigating unfamiliar code, and potentially generate patches when necessary is required.
What else will help you be successful
- Experience working on an all remote team
- Experience building an organization from the ground up
At PlanetScale we believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive no matter the location. Our mission is to build a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company. We strive to build an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are a candidate or an employee. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, pregnancy status, and veteran status.
If you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!