Relational databases are awesome. They support foreign keys, transactions and SQL. They are powerful, well-understood, well-supported and battle hardened. But they do not scale beyond a single node like NoSQL systems do..
What if there was a way to keep all the advantages of a relational database, but have the ability to horizontally scale them like a NoSQL system? What if this system provided guardrails that protected databases from toxic queries? What if all this could be achieved with minimal changes to your application while letting it view your sharded MySQL cluster as a giant monolithic database? What if the operational management of this system was simple and intuitive?
We built Vitess at Google to scale, manage and monitor YouTube’s MySQL databases on Borg, the blueprint for Kubernetes. Today, Vitess is an Apache 2 Licensed open source project owned by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, and uses MySQL as the underlying data store which is the most popular open source database. It is trusted by companies like Square, Slack and Github to run mission-critical workloads at massive scale. Vitess has enabled HubSpot and JD.com to run their workloads on Kubernetes.
At PlanetScale, we have built a fully hosted database-as-a-service that allows businesses to deploy new databases around the globe with just a few clicks and manages them with production grade workflows via an intuitive user interface. We take care of backups, restores, applying schema changes, applying software patches, master failovers, while providing world class durability and availability guarantees. We call this PlanetScaleDB.
We built PlanetScaleDB on Kubernetes using the operator design pattern and created a standard Kubernetes API that makes it easy to deploy and manage the master and replicas for a single database in multiple cloud providers.
You know what it means to deliver world class services. Getting a system online isn’t enough for you, you’re not happy until it’s bullet proof. You make solid technical decisions and can explain to others why you made them. You dream of building high availability distributed services that delight users.
What You Will Be Doing
PlanetScale’s goal is to provide the best database for any online system. Building off Vitess you will be making a system that allows developers to manage their databases like they manage the rest of their application stack. Provisioning, scaling and managing the database should be simple and reliable. Your job is to make sure our platform is capable of meeting those and many more demands, especially as we support multiple clouds, and allow users to run our own database as a service in their data centers. .
- Leveraging Golang to build scalable, secure software
- Providing leadership and ownership of the service, and working with others to build out customer facing features.
- Using best in class cloud services to deliver a reliable, scalable Database As a Service platform. .
- Building on top of our architecture stack, including Kubernetes, AWS, GCP and Azure.
- Utilizing Modern Techniques to provide the industries best database system.
What Will Help You Be Successful
- History of developing, managing and shipping online services.
- Ability to design and implement multi-tier architecture for a web platform.
- Understanding of technical trade-offs and ability to advocate for and
- Experience leading others, and ability to guide them on how to solve complex problems.
- Pragmatic approach towards tackling unforeseen challenges
- Experience with Golang
- Experience developing and or operating distributed systems at scale
- Experience with MySQL or other relational database systems.
- Ability to work with users to design, scope and deliver functionality
- Infinite appetite for learning
Perks At PlanetScale
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2018, PlanetScale helps businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in cloud. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and is backed by SignalFire. PlanetScale has an experienced team from innovative companies like Paypal, Google, Youtube, and Dropbox. To learn more about PlanetScale, visit www.PlanetScale.com.