Relational databases are awesome. They support foreign keys, transactions and SQL. They are powerful, well-understood, well-supported and battle hardened. But they do not scale beyond a single node like NoSQL systems do..
What if there was a way to keep all the advantages of a relational database, but have the ability to horizontally scale them like a NoSQL system? What if this system provided guardrails that protected databases from toxic queries? What if all this could be achieved with minimal changes to your application while letting it view your sharded MySQL cluster as a giant monolithic database? What if the operational management of this system was simple and intuitive?
We built Vitess at Google to scale, manage and monitor YouTube’s MySQL databases on Borg, the blueprint for Kubernetes. Today, Vitess is an Apache 2 Licensed open source project owned by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, and uses MySQL as the underlying data store which is the most popular open source database. It is trusted by companies like Square, Slack and Github to run mission-critical workloads at massive scale. Vitess has enabled HubSpot and JD.com to run their workloads on Kubernetes.
At PlanetScale, we have built a fully hosted database-as-a-service that allows businesses to deploy new databases around the globe with just a few clicks and manages them with production grade workflows via an intuitive user interface. We take care of backups, restores, applying schema changes, applying software patches, master failovers, while providing world class durability and availability guarantees. We call this PlanetScaleDB.
We built PlanetScaleDB on Kubernetes using the operator design pattern and created a standard Kubernetes API that makes it easy to deploy and manage the master and replicas for a single database in multiple cloud providers.
As a Product Marketing Manager, you will bring your passion for storytelling to our products and communicate their value to a technical audience of developers, DBAs, architects, and CTOs and CIOs. Working in close collaboration with Product, Marketing and Sales, you will drive product launches, ensuring that we effectively communicate the benefits of each new product or major feature.
An ideal candidate will be a self motivated, creative thinker with strong analytical skills who thrives working cross functionally in a startup environment. Excellent project management skills are a must.
What You Will Be Doing
- Manage successful product launches by supporting the GTM strategy of new products and features, including positioning, pricing, packaging, messaging, demos, etc.
- Develop compelling, differentiated messaging and positioning, with a clear understanding of the target customer/audience and the core capabilities of our offering.
- Define, establish and maintain value propositions with supporting materials.
- Analyze market trends, competitors, and customer research to draw insights that will influence product positioning.
- Develop content and documentation for our website, blog posts, datasheets, product brochures, and other external facing content.
- Drive alignment across sales, product, and marketing to realize the shared goals of the marketing plan.
- Work closely with the sales team to ensure the value proposition, competitive battle cards, FAQs, training, support structures, and other collateral are all in place.
What Will Help You Be Successful
- 3-5 years of product marketing experience, preferably in the B2B space
- Track record of success in marketing to developers and decision makers in a product marketing or product management role
- Ability to prioritize high-impact activities and keep complicated projects moving forward
- Strong project management, critical and analytical thinking skills
- Deep empathy for and strong advocate of the customer’s point of view and requirements
- Experience in the infrastructure or cloud services space (preferred)
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
- We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Perks At PlanetScale
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Vibrant company culture with frequent team building events
- 20% time for working on projects at company not related to your expertise
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2018, PlanetScale helps businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in cloud. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and is backed by SignalFire. PlanetScale has an experienced team from innovative companies like Paypal, Google, Youtube, and Dropbox. To learn more about PlanetScale, visit www.PlanetScale.com.