Relational databases are awesome. They support foreign keys, transactions and SQL. They are powerful, well-understood, well-supported and battle hardened. But they do not scale beyond a single node like NoSQL systems do...
What if there was a way to keep all the advantages of a relational database, but have the ability to horizontally scale them like a NoSQL system? What if this system provided guardrails that protected databases from toxic queries? What if all this could be achieved with minimal changes to your application while letting it view your sharded MySQL cluster as a giant monolithic database? What if the operational management of this system was simple and intuitive?
We built Vitess at Google to scale, manage and monitor YouTube’s MySQL databases on Borg, the blueprint for Kubernetes. Today, Vitess is an Apache 2 Licensed open source project owned by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, and uses MySQL as the underlying data store which is the most popular open source database. It is trusted by companies like Square, Slack and Github to run mission-critical workloads at massive scale. Vitess has enabled HubSpot and JD.com to run their workloads on Kubernetes.
At PlanetScale, we have built a fully hosted database-as-a-service that allows businesses to deploy new databases around the globe with just a few clicks and manages them with production grade workflows via an intuitive user interface. We take care of backups, restores, applying schema changes, applying software patches, master failovers, while providing world class durability and availability guarantees. We call this PlanetScaleDB.
We built PlanetScaleDB on Kubernetes using the operator design pattern and created a standard Kubernetes API that makes it easy to deploy and manage the master and replicas for a single database in multiple cloud providers.
You are as comfortable dealing with customers in a meeting or video call, as you are digging into technical details on a whiteboard and diving into code. There are no problems too complex for you to analyze, understand and then think of ways to try and solve them. You are adept at designing solutions that balance customer requirements and technical realities, and are able to communicate complex ideas effectively and with efficiency. You are as comfortable at helping a customer engineer or DBA with their SQL queries, as presenting project tasks and timelines to their CTO.
What You Will Be Doing
PlanetScale’s goal is to make it a breeze to deploy and operate Vitess/MySQL clusters on premise as well as in the cloud. We are looking to hire early members of our Professional Services team at PlanetScale to support expanding the use of Vitess to a much larger group of enterprises. Your job is to take a customer from zero, to deploying Vitess, to successfully running their business on it. You will be:
- Working with customers directly, on-site or remotely, to deploy Vitess
- Leading technical interaction with the customer during deployment and migration
- Owning the technical success of deployment and migration projects
- Owning and ensuring the consistent and successful handoff of customers to PlanetScale customer success team post-deployment
- Providing ongoing and timely feedback to PlanetScale product management and engineering teams about customer deployments
- Scaling the delivery ability of the Professional Services team by owning both the internal and customer-facing deployment code, documentation and other best-practices material.
- Supporting PlanetScale sales in the drafting and reviewing of SOW for Professional Services engagements
- Assisting PlanetScale sales in defining PoC engagement scope and success criteria
What Will Help You Be Successful
- Previous experience in customer-facing consulting or support.
- Strong communication skills:
- Our job is often to educate customers on Vitess and MySQL in a limited amount of time; the ability to do so effectively is a must.
- Deep MySQL database experience, or experience in PostgreSQL and a willingness to level-up on MySQL in a short amount of time:
- Operational aspects:
- Query planning / optimization
- Intermediate or higher understanding of MySQL performance and internals:
- DB I/O
- Transactions, locking
- Programming experience in a major programming language (Python, Golang, C/C++, Java)
- Experience in Golang is a distinct plus.
- Intermediate or higher level of Linux system administration and networking knowledge.
- Intermediate or higher level cloud platform deployment experience with one or more of: AWS, GCP, Azure
- Intermediate or better level understanding of k8s concepts
- Ability to perform k8s administration tasks (application installation, configuration, RBAC, networking)
- Willingness to travel: Up to 40%, including potential international travel (post-COVID)
Perks At PlanetScale
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2018, PlanetScale helps businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in cloud. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and is backed by SignalFire and Andreessen Horowitz. PlanetScale has an experienced team from innovative companies like Paypal, Google, Youtube, and Dropbox. To learn more about PlanetScale, visit www.planetscale.com.