Relational databases are awesome. They support foreign keys, transactions and SQL. They are powerful, well-understood, well-supported and battle hardened. But because they support all the flexibility of SQL, it is easy for an inexperienced developer to write a query that brings the whole database down. They also do not scale beyond a single node.
What if there was a way to keep all the advantages of a relational database, but have the ability to horizontally scale them like a NoSQL system? What if there was a system that provided guardrails that protected databases from toxic queries? What if all this could be achieved with minimal changes to your application while letting it view your sharded MySQL cluster as a giant monolithic database?
The year was 2010 and two early engineers at YouTube were contemplating these problems. They built the open source system Vitess to solve them. Over the years, as YouTube databases moved from proprietary hardware to Google’s internal cloud (Borg), it acquired all the features a distributed system needs to work well with ephemeral instances in cloud - excellent observability, robust service discovery, and a solid master failover story. In 2015, Vitess was discovered by companies outside YouTube and now companies such as Slack, Square (Cash) and JD.com depend on Vitess for scaling and serving their relational data.
At PlanetScale, we help businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in cloud. We provide PlanetScale Deployment Platform that automates the deployment and management of Vitess clusters. We are also building a cloud-agnostic (AWS, GCP, Azure) DbaaS solution based on Vitess.
You can spot trouble a mile away. You know when something isn't right and more importantly you know exactly how to fix it. There is nothing too complex for you to understand. You don't stop at a solution you stop when you know why. Using that experience you are the expert on making sure deployments are successful, you know everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong, or will go wrong and you can design solutions to make sure it never goes wrong. You are also great at helping others understand complex things. You can translate from technical to practical, and you are a human index to the library of documentation and case studies that make up your list of favorite reads.
What You Will Be Doing
PlanetScale’s goal is to make it a breeze to deploy and operate Vitess/MySQL clusters on premise as well as in cloud. Your job is to take a customer from deploying Vitess to successfully running their business on it. You will work along side them as they scale out their systems, and take full advantage of the PlatnetScale platform. When there are questions you will answer them, when their are problems you will fix them. When they do their first resharding you will ring the gong in the office and pay for the first round of drinks ( or ice cream ). You will be
- Helping customers deploy their Vitess clusters
- Showing how to modify queries and applications to use Vitess to its fullest
- Setting up the PlanetScale deployment platform
- Supporting customers on our support platforms
- Figuring out what gaps exist in Vitess for a customer and helping close them
What Will Help You Be Successful
- Experience deploying and running Databases and Applications
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Major Cloud Platforms and Deployment techniques
- Strong Networking Background
- Experience with MySQL and SQL
- Strong ability to communicate
- Full-Stack programming experience
- Knowledge of common Application deployment platforms
- Experience supporting customers
Perks At PlanetScale
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Vibrant company culture with frequent team building events
- 20% time for working on projects at company not related to your expertise
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Fully paid parking pass or CalTrain pass
- Unlimited in-house snacks & drinks
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2018, PlanetScale helps businesses solve their relational data scaling problems by deploying and operationalizing Vitess clusters on premise as well as in cloud. The company is headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and is backed by SignalFire and Andreesen Horowitz. PlanetScale has an experienced team from innovative companies like PayPal, Google, YouTube, and Dropbox.