Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Vice President of Communications is responsible for building, promoting and managing Planet’s brand in the market with media, think tanks and the broader ecosystem of relevant influencers. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President (VP) of Communications will be responsible for the development of Planet’s communication strategy and will contribute to Planet’s organizational strategic planning process. The VP of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan for Planet directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's brand reputation. The VP of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will be an ambassador for the organization and will need to build and maintain existing relationships with the media and maintain. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness for the organization. The VP of Communications will be responsible for Planet’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: web, earned media, and other online communications and serve as an advisor to the broader exec team leading communications strategy, developing messaging, and orchestrating integrated programs to raise awareness for Planet, its customers, and products.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Provide guidance on key reputational topics, including but not limited to, corporate and executive brand, responding to the competitive landscape, financial communications, government regulation, ESG, ethics and other issues impacting the Planet’s business and personnel
- In collaboration with the leadership team, manage both internal and external communications in response to crises
- Work closely with the Planet executive team to create a thought leadership platform and to hone Planet’s story across multiple media types and channels
- Manage the global communications team and provide strategic direction and prioritization to optimize the team’s impact and to ensure positive team work-life balance
- Develop earned and owned media strategies to build and strengthen corporate narrative and market positioning
- Partner with Planet’s People Team on Internal Communications programs and response
- Maintain key relationships with top tier press
What You Bring:
- Ability to be effective in a hybrid model of work in-person in our San Francisco office weekly
- 12-15 years of communications experience, with time spent in house leading a team and working closely with the C-Suite
- History of developing earned and owned media programs that deliver results
- Experience successfully placing and shaping stories among top tier press
- Building relationships and working with diverse stakeholders effectively
- Analytical thinker and an ability to understand complex technologies, policy issues, and business concepts
- Excellent executive presence and able to deliver concise and compelling positions and points of view
- Demonstrated experience working alongside and managing teams to execute holistic communications plans effectively
- An excellent understanding of digital communications and social media
- A detail-oriented approach, with the ability to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Experienced in leading teams and delivering measurable results
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $196,800 - $246,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (commission, bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Know Your Rights.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the hiring process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.