Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Our Payload Systems Group is looking for a Payload Systems Engineer to join the team that is designing, building and operating an advanced mission that will become an extension to the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space. We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payloads. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Payload group group. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
Impact You’ll Own:
The candidate will be responsible for:
- Supporting the design, manufacturing, testing and operation of new and advanced imaging systems
- Support and drive a multi-organizational System Engineering effort to develop an advanced payload and spacecraft
- Collaborating with external partners to transfer advanced imaging know how and expertise into Planet to establish a vibrant and financially sustainable platform
- Derive, own and drive the payload requirements from inception to mission implementation.
- Negotiate and implement interface control documents within the payload systems and with the spacecraft bus.
- Support the development and implementation of verification and validation plans for the payload system.
- Drive payload cross-team collaborations between the hardware, satellite operations, imaging pipeline, and embedded software teams.
- Support the selection of and provide technical oversight of external vendors.
What You Bring:
- 4-6 years of relevant experience, such as airborne or space-based imaging payloads, cameras, or telescopes.
- A passion for photography, earth sciences, and geography
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a technical manner across organizational and functional boundaries to deliver capability to users
- Experience leveraging scientific tools based in MATLAB, Python and/or C/C++ to advance design maturity and analyze system performance
- Familiarity with source control, requirements, and project management tools
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Practical experience in solving problems by exploiting large cloud-based datasets
- BS in a EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with multispectral or hyperspectral imaging systems
- Experience with space flight program lifecycle stages including design, assembly, integration and test, or flight operations of imaging or camera hardware
- Experience in manufacturing and production environments, including New Product Implementation (NPI)
- MS/PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $114,100 - $142,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.