Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Planetary Variables Team is looking for a software engineer to help us in our mission to make global change visible, accessible, and actionable. The team is responsible for the development and production of products that are built on top of Planet satellite data and public datasets, and that serve commercial customers as well as the scientific community.
In this role, you will be working in a cross-functional team to develop Planetary Variables such as land surface temperature, soil moisture, or biomass proxy. Together with the team you will make sure that the products we deliver to our customers are scalable, well-monitored, and appropriate for the use cases we target. You will also be working within a larger software development team that cuts across all Planetary Variables.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Reliability and scalability of our product processing chains
- Engineering and deployment of new products and product versions
- Technical direction of the product processing chains
- Connection with tech leads from other parts of the company on internal interfaces and standards
What You Bring:
- Strong Python programming skills in a Linux environment
- Experience with relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL
- Experience with cloud computing, preferably GCP
- Clear communication skills that resonate with engineers, cross-functional stakeholders, and executives
- A track record of designing, building, and evolving software systems at scale
- A track record of mentorship and growing other engineers
- Experience with driving strategy and execution
- 8+ years industry experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with geospatial technologies and data
- Experience with the scientific Python stack, including numpy, scipy, and pandas
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.