Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is searching for a new Senior Technology Strategist to join their team! This role is in support of the Director of Special Project Development and the broader Strategy and Software Engineering teams to accelerate business strategy and lead the earliest stages of next-generation software technology and product development. In alignment with the company’s business strategy and Software Engineering roadmap, this role is responsible for representing Planet to a select group of partners to proactively shape and capture special projects. This will include non-standard and custom engagements requiring close collaboration with the Finance, Legal, and Corporate Development teams. This role serves as the primary Strategy Team interface to the Software Engineering organization and includes coordination with internal constituencies and the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with key stakeholders, technical partners, and team members around the world.
Impact You’ll Own:
- You are the Strategy team member that captures and leads special projects that accelerate Planet’s software engineering technology roadmap and product offering differentiation. You support the early stages of the business development process, from opportunity identification to evaluation and capture
- You have sufficient technical expertise to understand Planet’s technology stack, both space systems and software. You are able to assess Planet’s capability and to identify and lead engagement with external partners to advance the collaborative development of new software systems and technology
- You work with the broader Commercial and Business Development teams to source and evaluate potential funding opportunities that align with Planet’s business and software engineering technology interests, with a focus on leading the response to relevant commercial and government policies, RFIs, and RFPs
- In collaboration with Corporate Development, you support broader, corporate-wide efforts to develop and enhance the company’s vision and business strategy through analysis of market opportunities, industry trends, and competitive landscapes
- You perform complex business case and engineering analyses and produce technical and management reports for dissemination to Planet’s Executive and Software Engineering Leadership teams
- You communicate Planet’s unique value proposition externally to early customers for market validation and build and maintain long-standing, strategic relationships with individuals in government, aerospace, and remote sensing communities
- You lead strategic assessments and nurture long-term project concepts that inform, advance, and fortify the continued differentiation of Planet’s strategic positioning, software engineering solutions, and product portfolios
What You Bring:
- 8+ years of strong achievement and relevant experience, including 5+ years leading capture management, business development, or interdisciplinary engineering initiatives
- M.S. or equivalent degree in software engineering or a related scientific or business discipline, with deep and proven business and technical acumen across multiple subfields
- Excellent project, time, and budget management skills and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, to include the frequent delivery of presentations to internal and external executive audiences
- An ability to lead special projects and initiatives through successful influencing of cross-functional teams across a wide variety of geographies and sectors
- A deep interest and passion for Planet’s mission and for creating a vibrant 21st century aerospace ecosystem and commercial GEOINT market
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Previous experience performing market and competitive assessments and developing go-to-market plans for new technology development and special projects
- A strong understanding of the end-to-end aerospace ecosystem and competitive landscape to include: (i) satellite design and manufacturing, (ii) launch and regulatory activities, (iii) ground and on-board processing of Earth observation data, (iv) algorithm and software architecture design, (v) cybersecurity, and (vi) advanced analytics for information extraction
- A mixture of high energy, flexibility, and team orientation with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving and an ability to work both collaboratively towards consensus and independently in a high-growth, commercial company
- An ability to navigate the complex relationships of a fast-growing technology company and to inspire future software engineering and product development that accelerates humanity toward a more sustainable, secure, and prosperous world
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $109,800 - $180,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.