Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Senior Manager of Professional Services, Federal is an experienced technologist who works with customers to make them successful users of Planet's product offerings. As a respected thought leader and manager, the position provides active management and technical oversight for a regional Professional Services team, and leads customer engagements to successful outcomes. From a technical standpoint they are an exemplary engineer and their efforts are directly visible to customers and stakeholders within Planet.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manages a team of Professional Services Solutions and Software Engineers
- Applies expertise in remote sensing and geospatial technologies to help Planet’s Professional Services customers be successful in their adoption of the Planet Platform
- Leads the technical delivery of solutions to Planet’s customers: aligns Professional Services projects to customer business and technology requirements and delivers exceptional customer value
- Owns the technical oversight of multiple major projects with high visibility across Planet. Takes on the work of project management and process oversight as needed. Leads the technical delivery of projects on time and under budget
- Champions processes (scrum, test driven development, source control etc)
- Writes technical specifications and identifies risks before starting major projects. Goes out of the way to reduce complexity. Identifies problems with project requirements and helps the team course-correct around issues.
- Clearly communicates project timelines, scope and risks to the team
- Assists in scoping new projects and in technical writing for proposals and project reports
- Performs advanced design and implementation of Professional Services software solutions. Builds software tools, applications and customer demonstrations using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints
- Owns the customer success lifecycle for Professional Services engagements, from scoping and discovery, to project execution and delivery. On any day, the Team Lead may find themselves writing requirements documents, applying expertise in data analytics, collaborating with software engineers, leading a training event, or delivering solutions to a client
- Champions Planet’s products and offerings in-person and via online assistance by providing training, presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos
- Leads CRADA efforts in collaboration with the Federal Sales and CSM team
- Collaborates with Sales to help close business opportunities, growing Planet’s customer base and usage of Planet data across vertical markets
- Influences the direction of Planet’s products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagements and the user community
- Interacts and engages with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights
What You Bring:
- 6-8 years relevant experience working in a technical geospatial or remote sensing role
- 4-6 years of supervisory experience, relative managing or leading a team
- Familiarity and experience working with DOD/IC community as well as CIV Agencies preferred
- Have held/ability to or currently hold a TS or TS/SCI Security Clearance
- Extensive experience programming with Python to process imagery, manipulating vector data, interacting with APIs and building data processing pipelines
- Expertise with QGIS, Esri software, GDAL or other common geospatial software
- Familiarity with cloud-based architectures or machine learning
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You pride yourself on your problem-solving and analytical skills
- You are comfortable asserting your technical expertise to lead and drive team direction
- You have excellent communication skills and convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
- You are comfortable steering customer technical engagements in the right direction
- You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar systems & code bases
- You can handle the most stressful situations calmly
- You often suggest ideas for new applications and processes that can improve operations
- You're self-motivated
- Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding
- You work well independently or as part of a team
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $128,250 - $210,960. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentive bonus, commission and equity. The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.