Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet efficiently and safely operates several medium and high resolution spacecraft constellations. Managing these valuable assets is a highly technical feat and the teams that do so consist of skilled engineers from a variety of backgrounds, having collectively worked on more than 30 space missions. Together, these teams support spacecraft commissioning and anomaly resolution, maintain uptime, conduct on orbit special activities, and perform development towards future automation. This role is specifically focused on the safe operations of the SkySat constellation. Operators are frequently the first to detect and triage anomalous behavior, therefore an understanding of how each spacecraft subsystem relates to one another is important. You can anticipate working in a close collaborative environment, frequently communicating with hardware and software experts to understand anomalies and develop procedures. You will be a go to person for carrying out on-orbit tasking such as propulsive maneuvers, flight software updates, and telemetry analysis. Expect to be in the middle of it all, as the work of the Missions team is essential to Planet’s success. You will be responsible for the safe and stable operations of our fleet as we integrate all operations teams together.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop a thorough understanding of a spacecraft bus, and how it is operated
- Build and edit python scripts to carry out activities on a spacecraft
- Monitor all spacecraft for proper operation, responding to all off-nominal contingencies (telemetry limit violations, configuration and status changes, subsystem and operational anomalies, etc)
- Participate in on-call rotation in support of spacecraft uptime
- Develop automated responses and processes, including services, for any manual operations
What You Bring:
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering or other engineering/science related field from an accredited college or technical school
- Experience with Python scripting, command line interface, and Git version control
- Experience with data analysis and trending
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development
- Excellent attention to detail, procedural discipline, and workflow management
- Ability to work independently and creativel
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills and ability to clearly report and log complex events
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Masters of Science in Aerospace Engineering or other engineering/science related fields
- Previous satellite operations, space mission experience or space systems integration & test experience
- Experience with Confluence and JIRA software
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $68,500.00 - $112,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.