Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a detail-oriented, curious, collaborative and analytical leader to help us achieve our operational and financial goals while embodying our company values. You will join a world-class Accounting team as our International Controller and will be part of the leadership team of Planet’s Global Accounting Team.. The International Controller is a proven professional who is responsible for the core operational aspects of accounting for subsidiaries in EMEA and APAC. This includes developing talent, balancing capabilities and working effectively cross-functionally in a rapidly changing and growing environment. We are looking for a leader who will implement financial processes and systems automation to scalably support Planet’s global growth.
Success in this role is dependent on leadership, people development, process improvement, strategic execution, ability to deal with a rapidly changing business environment and strong communication skills internally and externally with our partners.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Lead the International teams (EMEA and APAC) including hiring, mentoring and motivating and providing clear direction on strategy, goals and development
- Collaborate with local head of operations for strategic and day to day decisions
- Provide strategic and day-to-day management of the accounting function, owning all accounting operations (financial reporting, procure-to-pay, quote-to-cash, etc.) and month-end close activities for the International teams, including SOX compliance
- Own the delivery of the Monthly Financial Reporting Package to the Corporate team and Global Controller
- Collaborate with the Corporate team on revenue accounting, tax and treasury, payroll, reporting and ad hoc projects to ensure policies are applied consistently across subsidiaries
- Lead, develop and improve the regional close processes (monthly/ quarterly/ annually) and systems for a fast-paced, rapidly growing data-as-a-service and analytics company
- Oversee accounting integration for mergers & acquisitions
- Oversee system implementations and provide leadership and vision for scaling the finance team, processes, and technology at the regional level; evaluating opportunities to drive automation and reduce risk
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements
- Responsible for key banking relationships at the regional level
What You Bring:
- 10+ years with a mix of Big 4 and industry experience as a public company International Controller of large public corporations
- Experience in Germany and German language skills required
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance or accounting; MBA a plus
- Comprehensive understanding of financial accounting and reporting under IFRS and US GAAP
- Merger & acquisition due diligence and integration experience preferred
- Proven success in developing and leading a team of people using a collaborative management style in a public company environment
- Knowledge of accounting and related systems: NetSuite, Coupa, TripActions/Liquid, Workiva, SFDC etc
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and customer orientation
- Detail oriented with ability to see the big picture, excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and partnership skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.