Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Fusion Monitoring team is responsible for operations, scaling, maintenance, and development of the Planet Fusion analysis ready data product. We collaborate closely with remote sensing scientists on the Fusion R&D team who develop the underlying algorithms. Planet Fusion combines the best features of Planet’s daily monitoring mission together with various sources of public data to give Planet’s customers a clean daily time series, ready for input into their domain-specific analytics.
This position is for a Senior Software Engineer who would serve as a technical lead who will guide the Fusion team’s development and operations work. The Fusion product involves the large-scale use of distributed compute resources, touches diverse pieces of infrastructure both within Planet and in GCP, and combines data from multiple different remote sensing satellites / constellations. In this role, you will own the technical decisions which will scale Fusion while maintaining the high data quality standards which our customers expect. You will grow the skills and capabilities of the Fusion team while shaping a new product line at Planet.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Drive continuous improvements in the Planet Fusion product toward a general release
- Scale infrastructure to ramp up production of the Planet Fusion data product
- Make architecture decisions to set Fusion up for future success
- Help create documentation and release material for Planet Fusion
- Guide and mentor other software engineers in their work
- Coordinate relevant infrastructure work across other teams within Planet
What You Bring:
- Extensive experience with scientific computing using Python in a Unix/Linux environment
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- Hands-on, can-do attitude and an ability to collaborate effectively
- Experience mentoring and teaching other software engineers
- Experience working on software engineering teams in an agile environment
What Makes You Stand Out:
- A passion for programming, remote sensing, and large-scale scientific computing
- 5+ years remote sensing experience + proven track record of software automation of analysis of imagery/maps
- Experience with Golang
- Experience working with open source geospatial software
- Active contribution to open source projects
- Solid background in machine learning and statistics
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.