Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
As a Director of Compliance (Trade, Anti-Bribery, Export Control) for Planet, you will play a critical role in managing the company’s compliance function in the areas of export controls; economic sanctions; Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); customs, supply chain, and shipping; and other areas of global trade compliance. You will be a member of our Legal team and will have the opportunity to work on issues that impact virtually every part of the business. You will routinely interface with executives, engineers, local and international personnel, as well as external counsel and vendors. You will provide leadership in the development, execution, and continuous improvement of compliance programs and bring significant subject matter expertise to the role. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned compliance professional with great judgment and attention to detail, and with 8+ years of experience in global trade compliance and 3+ years supervisory / leadership experience.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Supervising the preparation of and preparing export licensing documents
- Analyzing hardware, software, and services for export classification
- Reviewing export control requirements for manufacturing lab visitation
- Drafting, reviewing, and implementing internal policies, processes and procedures
- Preparing and conducting effective compliance trainings for employees
- Supervising coordination with engineering, launch, and manufacturing teams to manage shipments
- Coordinating with teams across the company to understand the compliance impact of proposed new products, services, and acquisitions
- Drafting and preparing filings for government agencies, including license applications, regulatory notifications, and scheduled reporting
- Supervising the review, clearance, and escalation of automated flags for global trade compliance screening
- Record-keeping retention and organization
- Ensuring compliance with FCPA requirements
- Coordinating with hiring managers and HR team to ensure proper export compliance for new hires
- Analyzing economic and financial sanctions for implications to Planet’s global business
What You Bring:
- Must be a U.S. person
- B.S. or B.A. required
- Excellent communication (oral and written); strong problem solving skills and the ability to deal with people of all levels
- At least eight years of previous compliance experience, particularly in export controls (EAR and ITAR) and/or FCPA
- At least three years of supervisory / leadership experience
- Self-starter who demonstrates initiative, works independently, and knows when to ask questions
- Strong appreciation of business processes and risks
- Experience reading and interpreting regulations is required
- High level of concentration, accuracy and attention to detail
- A careful, methodical approach
- A sense of humor and unflappable demeanor
What Makes You Stand Out:
- An advanced degree
- Previous experience working in the aerospace/defense environment
- Extensive expertise in export controls and/or FCPA compliance
- Previous experience working in a newly public company environment and/or scaling a compliance function
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $149,600 - $246,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.