Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
As the Product Manager for Developer Interfaces, you will be responsible for the overall interfaces that our customers use to build on top of the Planet platform. You will set product strategy for our core APIs and SDKs that enable users to discover, order, and deliver imagery and data products to various cloud destinations.
You will work closely with both customers and our Developer Relations team to understand developers’ workflows and needs, and define the roadmap for our core APIs, SDKs, and data delivery platforms to enable our customers and partners to create applications that serve a multitude of use cases.
You will work very closely with both our Platform teams to ensure user workflows are well supported, and our Imagery and Analytic teams to ensure future data products can be served through our core APIs and grow the capabilities of our developer interfaces.
You will work closely with Product Marketing, Sales, Customer Success, and Professional services to collaborate on go-to-market plans to make the features and enhancements you own to the Planet developer community.
As a Product Manager, you are not the direct supervisor of their engineering teams. You will need to demonstrate a strong commitment to Planet’s cultural values, agile principles and leadership through influence to succeed in this role.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Guide the development of Planet’s core APIs providing search, ordering, delivery, and streaming services for Planet’s imagery and data products
- Capture, synthesize, and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources -- clearly prioritizing needs across different customer archetypes
- Build and maintain the Product Roadmap for future API capabilities, prioritizing development around clear strategic thinking
- Provide guidance to clients, partners, and team members for large-scale deployments
- Ensure consistent execution of product lifecycle process from concept to launch through clear leadership and project management
- Work closely with executive team members and department leaders, manage competitive industry analysis and identify areas for differentiation
What You Bring:
- 4+ years as a product manager of an API-based service targeted at a broad developer base in a dynamic and cross-functional environment
- Previous hands-on experience with API and SDK design and scalable data-pipelines, with a strong intuitive grasp on common design paradigms and challenges
- Experience in building and consuming modern web APIs and SDKs
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- Track record of working in scrum teams in an agile environment, leading agile release planning in terms of iterative, incremental & value-driven delivery and tightening every feedback loop regarding the product
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Passion for great developer experiences—you fully understand the developer’s perspective
- You are energetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Familiarity with GIS, OGC standards
- Bachelor's or master's in Computer Science, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $123,600 - $203,300. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.