Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead one of our Customer Platform teams. This team is tasked with providing frictionless access to Planet data through web-based streaming and data-processing services, with a focus on open geospatial standards and interoperability with partner platform tools. The team also supports and extends Planet’s integrations to partner platforms that make it easier for customers to use Planet data in their mapping and analysis platforms of choice. Your mission will be to partner with your team to create a consistent user experience for accessing, and streaming data hosted on Planet’s Platform.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Leading and growing a distributed team of software engineers
- Opportunity to lead work on a new foundational element of Planet’s Platform
- Take ownership for the overall planning, execution and success of sophisticated technical projects.
- Represent your team in cross-functional interactions, such as vetting out product requirements with internal customers, and managing technical dependencies with other engineering leads.
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members, providing regular performance feedback and mentoring.
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members.
- Own the operation of these services by measuring performance, creating alerts, runbooks, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies.
What You Bring:
- At least one year of experience as a manager leading software engineers, and at least three years of hands-on experience as a software engineer.
- Proven track record of delivering project results on schedule
- Knowledge of current software development and deployment best practices
- Experience with successfully engaging and collaborating with distributed teams
- Knowledge of how to scale code with cloud computing resources, e.g. AWS or GCP
- A passion for Programming, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and all things Geospatial.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 1+ years of experience writing software to work with Geospatial data on the web
- Knowledge of open-source GIS tools
- Experience leveraging scientific computing using Python/Go in a Unix/Linux environment
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Experience writing production code in Python/Go
- Experience managing external contractors
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $136,000 - $223,600. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.