Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The EMEA Pre-Sales team at Planet is seeking a Sales Engineer to support our fast growth with EU Institutions and customers in Southern Europe. Your role would be to lead the technical, capability and solution strategy across the domain. You would do this by:
- Developing propositions that align with customer’s future strategic goals.
- Building long term, strategic technical customer relationships that support large and complex sales.
- Being a key member of the Pre-Sales team, listening to customer needs, designing compelling solutions and clearly articulating benefits to customers.
- Working with the wider business to develop next generation capabilities that align with use cases in many verticals.
- Providing technical assurance and rigor to all engagements and ensuring Planet meets appropriate standards, regulations and procedures.
- Engaging in thought leadership with their colleagues and peers throughout the industry including to senior audiences and individuals.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative thinker, and a great communicator. Maintaining a human-centered approach, you will help drive value and return on the client’s investment. In addition, you will utilize your good working knowledge of remote sensing, GIS and geospatial data products to be our customer’s go-to Planet ambassador.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Build and deliver presentations and product demonstrations highlighting technical capabilities of Planet’s platform and our ability to fulfill customer’s business needs.
- Create relationships with customers’ technical and management staff as a trusted advisor to their business.
- Act as an advisor to the customer to recommend a solutions architecture that fits their business challenges
- Respond to tenders, RFI’s, RFP’s, proposals with respect to product/solution information.
- Work with internal sales teams to determine account development plans and execute a strategy to engage customers and prospects.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional teams including Customer Success, Product Management, and Business Development to act as the voice of the customer
- Attain quarterly and annual sales and operational objectives assigned by management.
- Self-motivated to learn new technologies and industries.
- Interface with all Pre-Sales Engineers globally, building a community to improve the team’s technical and sales skills.
- Ability to present to senior executives and to large audiences.
- Act as a mentor to team members and lead training to drive their development
What You Bring:
- 5+ years experience in remote sensing or GIS
- Experience using GIS tools (i.e. ArcGIS, QGIS, Google Earth Engine, etc)
- B.S. GIS, Remote Sensing, Computer Science, Engineering, or an equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
- Readiness for business traveling (when it is safe)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 5+ years experience in a customer-facing role (i.e sales, pre-sales, customer support, consulting)
- Italian and/or Spanish language skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Experience with European Earth Observation and Monitoring programs
- Understanding of the metrics of sales processes
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.