Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Here at Planet Labs, we launch spacecraft early and often. From Technology Demonstrations to operational constellations, we're designing, manufacturing and launching record-breaking numbers of spacecraft. Exceptional technician is needed for supporting a variety of integration and environmental testing activities at component, subsystems and system level. You will be building, improving and following procedures to build both ground support equipment and Flight hardware. This includes operating a random vibration table, shock table, thermal air as well as Thermal and Vacuum chambers.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Support the Acceptance, Testing and & Integration (AI&T) line of Planet Next satellite constellation
- Coordinate and lead the execution of environmental test campaigns
- Participate in the planning and coordination of test campaigns
- Functional and environmental testing support
- Test fixture development/requirements
- Environmental Lab maintenance
- Design and test equipment and infrastructure for the transportation of spacecraft and subsystems
- Implement 5s methodology in the qual lab and model shop
- Design, assemble and test the tools & equipment required to support spacecraft launch integration
- Support Launch Integration
What You Bring:
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience working with test equipment such as Thermal air chamber, TVAC chambers, power supplies, multimeters, oscilloscopes
- Spacecraft assembly testing experience
- Able to juggle multiple tasks and make quality decisions without negative impact on others
- Work well with a cross-functional teams to achieve desired results
- Proficiency in using Solidworks CAD is a plus
- Experience with Engineering Documentation Control
- Resolves routine issues and escalates other issues to the appropriate individual in a timely manner.
- Superior attention for detail and passion for quality
- Demonstrated hands-on experience
- Job may require traveling within and outside the US
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.