Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We are seeking a team member to join our Collection Planning - Operations Team at Planet in Berlin.
The ideal candidate will have a mix of curiosity and passion along with a drive for results and proven experience in remote sensing and ideally mission planning systems. Our main focus is to ensure that collection orders meet customer service level agreements and products meet our High Quality Standards.
Utilizing your good working knowledge of remote sensing, GIS, geospatial imagery products and a large variety of data sources you will help drive collection success to satisfy our customers.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Optimize image collection schedules based on customer needs, imaging parameters (such as image collection geometry) as they relate to collection capacity and resulting image quality
- Regular tracking and reporting of collection success
- Identify technical and procedural issues and initiation to resolve them
- Collaborate with flight operations to ensure functionalities of the satellites
- Collaborate with customer-facing teams to ensure customer expectations are met
- Develop and maintain imaging metrics/statistics as they relate to collection yield
- Analyze collection satellite data and leveraging software programs to capture patterns/correlations to optimize and support continuous automation of operational routines
What You Bring:
- Geospatial/Remote Sensing Degree is preferred & (2+ years with relevant working experience)
- Fundamentals of remote sensing and image processing
- Proficient knowledge of GIS tools like QGIS
- Problem solving oriented and Data-driven mindset
- highly motivated to work in a space industry
- High motivation to work in a dynamic startup environment
- Ability to triage, prioritize, and execute several independent tasks simultaneously
- Team player with excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability and willingness to support operational emergencies outside of normal business hours
- Experience with Python or other programming languages
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience with DB and/or ready-to-use knowledge in bash scripting is a great plus
- Experience with satellite acquisition planning concepts is a plus
- Experience using project management tools and issue trackers
- Knowledge in visualizing and understanding BigQuery data using DataStudio is a plus
- Motivated to learn from other teams who closely collaborate with Collection Planning
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.