Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a talented Account Manager (AM) ideally based around D.C. (or in the mid-Atlantic) who will be responsible for growing Planet Federal’s presence across key Federal & Civilian accounts. The ideal candidate for this position is a strategic career sales executive who understands how to identify and prioritize sales activity to establish adoption of innovative solutions in Federal Agencies. This person will have a successful history of driving adoption of new data, technology and workflows that enable organizations to make better decisions and in ways that previously were not available. Above all else, we want our potential AM to be passionate about our unique value proposition and join us in Planet’s mission to see change and change the world.
This role will focus on the following Civilian accounts: NASA, Department of State, Department of Justice, EPA
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop and deliver on a strategy for your territory/accounts that will generate a quality pipeline that reflects the mission impact of Planet’s offerings unique to each account’s mission.
- Maintain superior executive presence and be able to develop and deliver a present at an executive level.
- Build strong, lasting relationships with partners by understanding their needs and business objectives. Track, monitor and report performance for each partnership.
- Collaborate and lead sales activities across all key teams required for your territory: Sales Development Representatives (SDRs), Marketing, Pre-Sales, Sales Operations, Partner/Channel and Customer Success teams.
- Successfully represents Planet’s capabilities in all customer facing engagements.
- Demonstrating sales acumen by managing your opportunities through a proven Sales methodology and joint planning process that effectively manages agreement/contract/procurement obstacles to achieve an ultimate win.
- Manage the contracting and Federal procurement process specific to your accounts to ensure contracts consistent with Planet’s capabilities and standards.
- Accurately manage your pipeline and forecasts leveraging tools such as Salesforce, Clari, and through sales account planning processes.
What You Bring:
- 6-8 years track record of successfully supporting US Federal agencies in a government role, consulting, or sales positions
- 5+ years in sales or marketing activities supporting Federal accounts
- Experience successfully selling complex enterprise solutions to executive levels in the US Federal government
- Proven success in obtaining awards for software and services through various Federal Contracting avenues beholden to FAR and DFAR.
- Domain expertise or strong understanding of the value of commercial satellite imagery and/or sensor data.
- Ability to understand customer learning & development objectives and be able to articulate a customized value proposition on how Planet's solution(s) fit into the customers' strategic goals.
- Proven experience in using quantitative and qualitative analysis to assess customer relationships and make recommendations for each account.
- A track record of consistently meeting and exceeding sales goals in a quota and commission structure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who can work independently under tight deadlines.
What makes you stand out:
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate professional experience related
- Experience prospecting or selling geospatial/GEOINT/GIS/satellite imagery solutions for federal & government use cases
- Previous experience selling to or working with NASA, Department of State, Department of Justice, and/or EPA
- Knowledge of Salesforce, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, ZoomInfo, Groove and email automation tools
- Strong work ethic with high energy and enthusiasm
- Experience with a start-up company or high-growth environment
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $122,000 - $154,000. This role is eligible for bonus, commission and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.