Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Engineering Program Manager in the EngOps org at Planet must be a fearless organizer and an excellent cross-functional leader with multiple teams, both inside Planet and with external partners. A successful candidate will help set strategy, drive problem solving efforts, eliminate roadblocks, execute on schedule, and be responsible for managing/communicating status and issues along the way. This involves the opportunity to collaborate closely with software engineers, system engineers and architects to define, refine, and develop solutions that directly impact the entire software stack of the spacecraft and pipeline to the ground.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Influence, track and lead cross-functional software development for Planet’s next generation satellites from ideation to launch.
- Develop project schedules, resource plans, budgets, risk mitigation strategies and track performance through all phases of the program, across multiple software teams and programs.
- Drive prioritization decisions between the spacecraft, mission, and operations software teams to ensure all software development milestones will be completed on time.
- Develop processes to measure and improve productivity, software maturity and quality.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years in program management, product management, or engineering focused on the delivery of complex software systems.
- Hands on technical experience in software development or management.
- Solid knowledge of Agile software development practices and tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Strong communication and presentation skills, to all levels of the organization
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with a track record of creative and critical thinking.
- Passion for establishing a new program for space technology.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience managing spacecraft hardware and software build and release cycles.
- Experience with some of our key technical areas/sub-systems such as high speed radio communication, FPGA development, optical sensors or guidance, navigation and control.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.