Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an experienced Senior Payroll Manager with strong international experience.
This role is primarily responsible for timely and accurate processing of Planet’s International payroll and supporting local in-country service providers for monthly payroll in US, Singapore, Germany, UK, Canada, Netherlands. The Senior Payroll Manager will be the primary payroll contact for all payroll related inquiries and drive exceptional employee experience. The successful candidate will bring payroll expertise to support the growth and success of Planet.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Global Payroll Processing
- Manage the governance, functional, and operational aspects and processes associated with our payroll systems and vendors for 800+ employees globally
- Partner with Equity team to manage payroll processing of restricted stock units, non-qualified stock options, incentive stock options and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP)
- Lead process improvement to ensure policy and processes are harmonized, automated and efficiently being executed in compliance with SOX
- Supporting various initiatives related to payroll including mergers and acquisitions, international expansion, process improvements, financial and regulatory audits
- Evaluate business processes on a regular basis to reflect new and changed payroll laws and regulations.
- Be a key strategic business partner to our Talent Acquisition, Legal and People Partners as we hire in various states and countries
- Lead and facilitate the integration of the payroll system ensuring it meets business requirements help to expeditiously resolve system issues
- Develop and lead a team that is customer service centric to our employees and business partners
- Support monthly accounting close cycle for items related to payroll, including journal entries, reconciliation between Payroll Systems and Netsuite, schedule preparation, and variance analyses
- Manage regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, )Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Work in collaboration with People Operations on workers compensation and various audits
- Prepare periodic metrics reports regarding issues such as department efficiency and volumes
- Train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel
- Provide excellent employee experience as the contact for all employee inquiries
- Assist with ad hoc reporting and project as needed
What You Bring:
- A minimum of 10 years in a role with a similar scope,
- Experience of leading and managing teams minimum of 5 years
- CPP required
- Strong vendor management skills and experience, strong in-house payroll experience, including application change management
- Demonstrate technical expertise on the automated systems and processes in designated areas of responsibility
- Previous experience within a control or audit environment.
- Experience working with SOX compliance
- Able to develop a professional payroll function which is scalable & flexible to meet the company's rapid growth
- Vast knowledge in Payroll Accounting
- Vast knowledge of EMEA Labor law and local legislation
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member in a time sensitive environment
- Unquestionable ethics and discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive data
- Experience with equity transactions and various regulations and reporting requirements
- Paylocity, BambooHR, Workday experience is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other quantitative major
- Highly proficient in Excel
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to thrive in a high-growth public environment
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $106,200 - $192,000. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.