Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The successful candidate will help Planet establish a mature data infrastructure and insights team. We need someone who can move easily up and down the data chain, developing SQL within a git/dbt framework, deploying code to service the next layer of data consumer or delivering finished dashboards. The objective of our growing data team is to strengthen data pipelines, populate our data warehouse with high quality data, optimize data flows and build a well-structured repository to surface and promote data-based decision making. To do this, we will need to work with origin, staged, and modelled data. The successful candidate should be familiar with git, dbt, python, and SQL. They will also have worked in both a DevOps and agile analytics environment. Ideally, you will have experience with visualisation solutions like Qlik, Tableau, PowerBI, or Looker and be comfortable with cloud data platforms such as Google BigQuery.
Impact You’ll Own:
This role will form part of the Business Intelligence function but will liaise closely with business and IT functions. This role will require the successful candidate to manipulate large, complex data sets derived from a broad spectrum of systems. You should be able to demonstrate experience and knowledge of analysis and data engineering concepts, tools, and techniques. The successful candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate and present complex information and data clearly.
It will benefit the team if you are able to liaise with subject matter experts in the business to contextualise the data being processed. By supporting the business in maintaining high standards of data quality, reliability, and governance you will deliver a data foundation for all reporting teams so they can, in turn, deliver consistent, trusted metrics. By transferring the burden of calculation and aggregation from our final reporting layer to our intermediate layer, you will unburden our functional analysts, allowing them to concentrate on sharing and actioning insight. You should be able to analyse significant amounts of data to perform gap analysis, root cause analysis and determine recommendations / implement enhancements to process
What You Bring:
- You should be able to turn complex information and facts into clear findings that help us take action
- Perform ad hoc analysis as needed
- Demonstrate your ability to find creative solutions to problems and collaborate with partners to drive results
- Self-starter and quick learner with razor-sharp analytical skills
- Evaluate system capabilities and restrictions with a view to proposing improvements
- Coach, educate, and advise colleagues and contribute with training in areas of expertise
- Contribute to the building of reports and scorecards
- Maintain a complex set of tables, queries, and procedures and ensure integrity
- Always have the business in mind facilitating speed, accuracy, quality, and a service attitude conducive to good relations
- Understand and document business requirements into functional specifications
- Uncover correlations, trends, probabilities, and outliers
- Robust validation and triangulation of all data sets
- Design, develop, build, and schedule new reports for the business
- Realize a solid foundation for insight generation
- Help internal consumers interpret the data we publish
- Contribute to the signaling of process improvement
Essential Qualifications & Skills:
- Be able to create relevant reports for management and functional partners
- Superior analytic foundation with background in numerate discipline (Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Finance, Economics)
- Prefer 3+ years of experience in analysis with an emphasis on Finance
- Prefer experience of data analysis using large consumer databases such as SAP & Salesforce
- Possess advanced SQL knowledge
- Be experienced working with a variety of databases and data formats
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience in a central data role with a graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field
- Excellent knowledge of coding language principles and logic, scripting, system configuration, scheduling and monitoring
- The ideal candidate is comfortable with YAML, Bash, Python, JSON, XML & other common data formats
- The ideal candidate will have experience with VisualStudio
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.