Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Your mission is to provide thought leadership and hands-on subject matter expertise in all enterprise IT functions, including networking, automation, collaboration systems, audio/video systems, desktop engineering, end user support and service management. To succeed in this role, you’ll be an experienced leader who loves technology, understands how business needs can be addressed through IT services and delivery, understands the art of possible, and enjoys proactively building relationships with colleagues across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Play a strategic role in the exploration and selection, implementation, and ongoing management of the Planet’s software, hardware, and technology support services
- Design and manage server, storage, network, and telecom environments and ensure high availability for these systems
- Oversee project delivery and develop execution standards for effective, scalable, and timely IT service delivery
- Lead, develop, and grow a team of highly capable, team-oriented technical Planeteers with a service-oriented mindset and a passion for our mission
- Measure, monitor, and maintain the team’s ability to meet or exceed Service Level Objectives and provide coaching and mentorship along the way
- Identify critical system issues and engage cross-functional teams and external vendors for timely incident resolution and problem management for recurring issues
- Perform periodic assessments and take proactive steps to mature technology, processes, and service delivery
- Leverage existing, emerging, and innovative technologies to enhance user experience, drive adoption of core IT systems, mitigate security risks, and improve technology services
- Establish strong vendor relationships and oversee negotiation and administration of vendors, consultants, and service agreements
- Develop and manage a budget that reflects the needs of a fast-growing, global organization with public company responsibilities to strong fiscal management and ROI
What You Bring:
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a specific focus on explaining technology topics clearly and to a variety of audiences with varying technical sophistication.
- Experience with the operations of cloud environments (Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform, primarily)
- Experience with enterprise networks, including address management schemes, dynamic routing protocols, switch management, wireless systems, and network security protocols.
- Significant project management, problem-solving, and presentation experience.
- Strong process and process-improvement orientation.
- Effective management of mission critical SaaS and on-premise applications such as Google Workspace, Atlassian JIRA and Confluence, and Gitlab
- High-energy team player with a positive attitude.
- Overall understanding of IT Infrastructure, Cybersecurity and data privacy, and how to balance the requirements with employee productivity objectives
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead IT Operations and Service Desk functions
- Experience with Linux, Mac OS, Windows, and Chrome OS
- Experience working in an export control regulated environment and understanding of SOX and ISO27001 controls
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Advanced experience with identity management systems and identity federation protocols such as SAML2 and OIDC.
- Strong development experience with Python or similar languages applied in systems automation
- Public speaking, published work, and thought leadership in the information technology industry
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600 - $243,900. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.