Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role and Your Impact:
An exciting opportunity to grow your data career. The successful candidate will help Planet establish a mature data infrastructure and insights team. We need someone who can move easily up and down the data chain. The objective of our growing data team is to strengthen data pipelines, populate our data warehouse with high quality data and build a well-structured repository to surface and promote data-based decision making. To do this, we will need to work with origin, staged, and modeled data. This role will form part of the Business Intelligence function, working closely with other business and IT functions. You’ll need to manipulate large, complex data sets derived from a broad spectrum of systems. You should be able to demonstrate experience and knowledge of analysis and data engineering concepts, tools and techniques. The successful candidate should be able to articulate and present complex information and data clearly. To contextualize the data being processed, you should be able to liaise with subject matter experts. By maintaining high standards of data quality, reliability, and governance you will deliver trusted metric packs which may be consumed directly or contribute to further, more complex analysis. By transferring the burden of calculation and aggregation from our final reporting layer, you will help our functional analysts share actionable insight.
What You Bring:
- You should be able to turn complex information into clear facts that help us take action
- Perform ad hoc analysis
- Self-starter and quick learner with razor-sharp analytical skills
- Contribute to the building of reports and scorecards
- Maintain a complex set of tables, queries, and procedures and ensure integrity
- Always have the business in mind facilitating speed, accuracy, quality and a service attitude Translate business requirements into functional specifications
- Perform robust validation and triangulation of all data sets
- Design, develop, build and schedule reports
- Help internal consumers interpret the data we publish
- Contribute to the signaling of process improvement
Essential Qualifications & Skills:
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Superior analytic foundation with background in numerate discipline (Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Finance, Economics)
- A graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or similar quantitative field
- Prefer 3+ years of experience in analysis (emphasis on Finance if possible)
- Be experienced working with a variety of databases but have deep knowledge in at least one
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with coding language principles: logic, scripting, system configuration, scheduling and monitoring
What Makes you Stand Out:
- Experience with Git, dbt, YAML, Bash, Python, VisualStudio and/or JSON
- Experience with visualization solutions like Qlik, Tableau, PowerBI or Looker
- Experience analyzing market ERP & CRM solutions such as NetSuite and Salesforce
- Google Cloud knowledge, especially BigQuery
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.