Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
About the Role:
The design team at Planet is looking for a strong product design lead to grow our team in Europe. As a product designer you’ll be responsible for end-to-end execution while being a strong advocate for both users and those impacted by the software you design. You’ll work with engineering, product management and other divisions on complex problems while keeping an eye on the big picture to bring product vision through to production. Plus, you’ll get a chance to work on projects that really drive change in the world, and you’ll do it in a rapidly evolving industry that requires truly novel design solutions. You’ll work closely with the US team, and your manager will be the Design Manager in the US.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop a confident path in how we will become a more human-centered design org in Europe; advocate for design, and lead with design artifacts in every conversation
- Create UX and UI solutions for a global customer base
- Partner closely with UX Research and Design Leadership to be able to scale our team’s work, and keep learning about our customers
- Facilitate workshops with product and engineering partners
- Draft information flows, wireframes, illustrate high fidelity screens and prototypes
- Partner with product management and development teams to ensure that the design work meets the highest quality standards
- Manage and mentor a small team, build out the Product design team over time
What You Bring:
- Several professional experience designing complex digital products
- Experience of managing and mentoring direct reports
- A portfolio demonstrating examples of professional projects: the results and how you got there
- End to end design experience: You’ve taken projects from early ideation to live software, gathered feedback and improved upon previous iterations -- you don’t need to be an expert in everything, but you’re well rounded and familiar with all design phases (early ideation, UX, information architecture, prototyping, hand off with development etc)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A strong degree of empathy for others (both end users and co-workers)
- A learning mindset and resilience -- you are able to apply your creative skills to overcome roadblocks and challenges
- A flexible approach: you apply principles over process and can adjust situational
- A history of positive influence on design & design culture at other companies
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Previous experience with GIS, geospatial data and/or remote sensing -- even if it’s only tangential
- Experience designing for SaaS and/or B2B products
- Experience working with Figma
- Growth mindset
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.