Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
This role will be 100% onsite in our spacecraft lab in downtown San Francisco, CA.
As the Lead Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for developing, leading and executing our assembly, integration and test processes for our next generation of satellites.. You will apply your manufacturing engineering skills to establish the overall process and develop and implement the procedures and work instructions for assembling and testing subassemblies, modules and complete spacecraft. You will manage the manufacturing personnel, and work closely with design engineers, test engineers, engineering program management, and supply chain teams to execute and deliver spacecraft.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manage the manufacturing engineering and technician staff
- Develop assembly, integration and test processes for PCBAs, subassemblies and full spacecraft
- Develop mechanical and electrical equipment and fixtures to aid with assembly, integration and testing
- Develop assembly procedures and work instructions
- Oversee facilities and capital equipment development for scaling our manufacturing processes to meet our production demand
- Develop production schedules in tight collaboration with Supply Chain
- Responsible for daily task planning and execution to ensure on-time assembly, testing and delivery of fully functioning satellites
- Drive non-conformances to resolution and establish actionable process improvements
- Collaborate with design engineering to continuously improve Spacecraft Design for Manufacturability
- Transform the manufacturing line from R&D to production by developing processes to go from prototype to flight builds
What You Bring:
- Proven history of managing complex, interdisciplinary manufacturing processes
- 5+ years of manufacturing development experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Very strong SolidWorks skills to develop tooling and fixturing to interface with spacecraft, and to extract useful views for use in work instructions
- Expertise with inventory management processes
- Expertise with building clear and effective schedules for production planning
- Organized approach to project management and task planning and tracking
- Hands-on experience with hardware assembly, integration, and test
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to learn new engineering concepts quickly
- Demonstrated ability to implement continuous improvement processes
- Desire to lead others and coach them to their fullest potential
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.