Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Imagery and Analytics team processes vast quantities of satellite image data into beautiful, visual products that provide scientifically useful analytics and actionable information. The group is responsible for taking millions of images a day from downlink to customer workflows. The work of the Imagery and Analytics team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
The teams rely on consistent, reliable tools for maintaining and deploying into the production environment. This position will focus on minimizing friction for developers and ensuring the ecosystem is well maintained in line with Planet shared practices. This would be a great experience for an engineer with experience in DevOps and interest in image processing code at scale.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Modernizing and maintaining the code repository and CI/CD tooling for Planet’s image processing and service delivery, enabling developers to quickly deploy code into production and ensuring security requirements are met.
- Providing expert guidance on deploying code in containers to virtual machines or Kubernetes clusters.
- Understanding developer needs for infrastructure performance and collaborating with Core Infrastructure colleagues on applying shared practices for deployment.
- Participating in an on-call rotation with our other team members.
- Authoring technical design documents and architectural decision records.
- Authoring runbooks, configuring dashboards, automating alerts, and finding strategies to automate away pain.
What You Bring:
Here's a collection of some of the skills we value. Don't be discouraged if your strengths lie in particular areas more than others: that's what a team is for!
- You have experience maintaining code repositories in GitHub or GitLab, alongside CI tools like Jenkins or GitLab CI.
- You have experience writing production code in Python.
- You have developed, tested, and deployed code at scale with cloud computing resources (e.g. AWS or GCP).
- You're excited about working with a distributed team and are well versed in various synchronous (Slack), asynchronous (E-mail, Jira tickets), and collaborative (Google Docs) systems.
- You have a high degree of empathy for your colleagues and an ability to remain composed under pressure.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- You have experience with and enjoy helping colleagues adopt new practices for managing and deploying code.
- You have familiarity with tools such as jsonnet, kustomize, helm, flux.
- You have experience using monitoring tools such as Prometheus.
- You’re excited about Programming, Photography, Remote Sensing, Earth Sciences, and Geography
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.