Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in the world. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to make change visible, accessible and actionable..
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a VP of Design. This role reports to the President of Product and Business, and supports design, UX research, and content strategy. Collectively, this leader oversees teams that help identify and prioritize customer problems, as well as leading the creative process that solves them. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Be the champion for the customer, from identifying their challenges and opportunities in user research, to designing elegant solutions.
- Work with leadership and cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product
- Build and support an incredible team of designers, UX researchers, and content strategists, balancing bottom-up and top-down decision making, and providing for career growth and development.
- Encourage high performance and innovation by engaging employees in decision-making and development of new product and process improvement ideas
What You Bring:
- 10+ years of experience as a design lead of commercial software products
- 5+ years of experience managing teams of 10 or more
- 10+ year experience managing at a technology company that provides software and information products, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- A passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Proven ability to build and lead teams that ship world-changing products in fast-paced environments
- Experience hiring world-class design and UX research leaders and building customer-centric cultures
- A growth mindset and a desire to learn quickly
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with cross geographical team coordination and management
- Proven problem solving skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive health plan
- Wellness and mental health programs
- Flexible time off
- Recognition programs
- Commuter benefits
- Learning and tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave for all types of parents
- Offsites and happy hours (virtual for now)
- Volunteering benefits via 1% Pledge
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.