Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Professional Services Team Lead is an experienced technologist who works with customers to make them successful users of Planet's product offerings. The Team Lead is an exemplary Solutions Engineer and their efforts are directly visible to customers and stakeholders within Planet. As a respected thought leader, the Team Lead provides active technical oversight for the wider Professional Services team, and leads customer engagements to successful outcomes.
What You Bring:
- May manage a team of Professional Services Solutions or Software Engineers.
- Apply your expertise in remote sensing and geospatial technologies to help Planet’s Professional Services customers be successful in their adoption of the Planet Platform.
- Lead the technical delivery of solutions to Planet’s customers: align Professional Services projects to customer business and technology requirements and deliver exceptional customer value.
- Own the technical oversight of multiple major projects with high visibility across Planet. Take on the work of project management and process oversight as needed. Lead the technical delivery of projects on time and under budget.
- Champion process (scrum, test driven development, source control etc).
- Write technical specifications and identify risks before starting major projects. Go out of your way to reduce complexity. Identify problems with project requirements and help the team course-correct around issues.
- Clearly communicate project timelines, scope and risks to the team.
- Assists in scoping new projects and in technical writing for proposals and project reports.
- Perform advanced design and implementation of Professional Services software solutions. Build software tools, applications and customer demonstrations using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints.
- Own the customer success lifecycle for Professional Services engagements, from scoping and discovery, to project execution and delivery. On any day, you may find yourself writing requirements documents, applying your expertise in data analytics, collaborating with software engineers, leading a training event, or delivering solutions to a client.
- Champion Planet’s products and offerings in-person and via online assistance by providing training, presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos.
- Collaborate with Sales to help close business opportunities, growing Planet’s customer base and usage of Planet data across vertical markets.
- Influence the direction of Planet’s products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagements and the user community.
- Interact and engage with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights.
What kind of person should you be?
- As a Solutions Engineer, you pride yourself on your problem-solving and analytical skills.
- As Team Lead, you are comfortable asserting your technical expertise to drive team direction.
- You have excellent communication skills and convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner.
- You are comfortable steering customer technical POCs in the right direction.
- You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar systems & code base.
- You can handle the most stressful situations calmly.
- You often suggest ideas for new applications and processes that can improve operations.
- You're self-motivated.
- Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding.
- You work well independently or as part of a team.
- 5+ years experience working in a technical geospatial or remote sensing role.
- Extensive experience programming with Python to process imagery, manipulating vector data, interacting with APIs and building data processing pipelines.
- Expertise with QGIS, Esri software, GDAL or other common geospatial software.
- Familiarity with cloud-based architectures or machine learning.
- Demonstrated ability to lead customer engagements.
- Ability to run workshops or training sessions with users.
- Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Remote Sensing, Geography or a related field. An advanced degree is preferred.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.