Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for an exceptional Director of Product with a proven background in hiring, mentoring, and leading high functioning product management teams.
As Director of Product, Imagery, you lead the product management team responsible for Planet’s fundamental imagery products that support much of Planet’s business and all of Planet’s downstream products. You will ensure the team properly engages across the various internal and external stakeholders and builds a wildly successful, customer-centric product. You're equally at home communicating recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs across product managers and your engineering counterpart.
You will be primarily responsible for driving the overarching strategy and execution for the core imagery products that are the main building blocks for all of Planet’s product suite. This includes medium and high resolution imagery, mosaics, products related to new imaging missions and more. This role is deeply cross-functional, and building positive relationships across Product, Software Engineering, Space Systems and Sales will be crucial to your success.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Evolve Planet’s core imagery catalogue into a kit of building blocks that support expansive downstream products
- Drive customer-centric culture throughout product lifecycle
- Ensure consistent execution of product lifecycle process from concept to launch through management of people and projects.
- Set project priorities and work through team leads to advance projects from development through implementation
- Capture and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources.
What You Bring:
- 5+ years of PM experience with 3+ years in a PM leadership capacity
- A history of delivering sophisticated products with a solid understanding of satellite imagery and remote sensing
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- A proven track record of hiring, mentoring, and leading high functioning product management teams
- A strong quantitative skill-set with a dedication to rigorous data driven decision-making
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in building successful cross-functional partnerships and successfully navigating complex stakeholder environments
- A strong growth-mindset and a servant-leadership approach
- Highly tuned emotional-intelligence and deep seated empathy for both engineering teams and customers
- Ability to think strategically and craft a compelling product vision
- Outstanding planning, collaboration, and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level
- Must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Bachelor's or master's in computer science, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.