Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
If you are passionate about space, geospatial data and machine learning, Planet is the right choice.
About The Role:
Come in and help us turn Satellite Imagery Data as a Service into reality!
Equipped with near-infrared, and video capabilities, Planet’s SkySat fleet can revisit any point on Earth at 72 cm resolution and sub-daily basis, higher frequency than any other commercial high resolution satellite imagery provider. We build systems and services to manage satellites activities in orbit.
In this role, you will build an order management platform that tracks the progress of the user requests and helps our spacecraft operators to maximize the efficiency of our fleet. The service also assists with image quality assurance as well as delivering the final products to our customers.
You will be part of the backend team and work closely with co-located front end and quality assurance teams.
Impact You'll Own:
- Being part of an agile, interdisciplinary team, you will work closely with product owners, designers, QA Engineers and front-end developers to create true user-centered products
- Collaborating with other teams throughout the organization to ensure everyone is up-to-date and well informed
What You Bring:
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
- Adaptability and openness to changes and challenges
- An ability to communicate and challenge the ideas of your peers in a respectful, open manner
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Deep understanding of the whys and how's of writing tests
- Understanding of CI/CD concept
- Knowledge of common patterns and anti-patterns
- Experience with monitoring solutions
- Experience using kubectl, Docker and docker-compose
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in
- Configuring Gitlab runners
- Managing a kubernetes cluster
- Deep knowledge of PostGIS
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architectures
- Knowledge of
- Google Cloud Platform
- Geospatial data and algorithm domains
- Web development standards like MVC, MVT
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer RSUs for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press and Blog Posts About Us:
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.