Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Quality Engineering team at Planet focuses on validating customer-facing and platform backend applications. Planet’s web based applications allows customers to explore and visualize Earth interactively. The Planet cloud platform provides customers with a rich set of APIs that enable many workflows, from searching for and downloading imagery on demand, to creating and managing applications that utilize standing orders, to APIs used to request the acquisition of new satellite imagery. Backend services to support these features covering everything from image processing and analytic services to administrative and customer account management services.
We are looking for a strong Quality Assurance Engineer to join our team to help us in building test automation and delivering high quality software. The position is a remote first position, working with Planet engineering across North America and Berlin, as well as with contractors in other locations globally.
- Develop and enhance existing tools and automation framework
- Design, develop and maintain automated test cases
- Take ownership of testing features and automation for a release.
- Troubleshoot issues down to the root cause and provide detailed bug reports.
- Work closely with stakeholders, communicate with the team about any issues, risks with the application in test.
- Help design and build automation frameworks for different projects.
- Proven experience with test automation using Python.
- Enjoy working with geographically dispersed teams.
- Experience using Docker and containerized architectures.
- Advanced Automation skills - Comfortable with shell scripting and Git.
- Experience in Continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) such as Gitlab, Jenkins
- Detail oriented, highly adaptable and acts as a customer advocate for quality.
- Deep interest in UX and code quality.
- Strong self-management skills.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience of geospatial concepts
- Experience in Agile development environment
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe and empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs and flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Enjoy a spacious central office located in U/S-bahn Zoologischer Garten
- Employees’ well-being is our top priority: on site massages, snacks, fruits, drinks and company lunches
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.