Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Senior Buyer under minimum supervision is responsible for planning and purchasing high quality, low cost components and materials to meet both internal and external customer needs. Plans, schedules and coordinates the material planning activities for complex robotic systems and prepares status reports of these through MRP, PO issuance and material receipt. Resolution of over-shipment, shortage, engineering change order, order cancellation and related problems as required. Interfaces with suppliers and obtains budgetary and formal quotations.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop, lead, and execute sourcing strategies with consideration and results for end-to-end supply chain excellence through technical collaboration, product introduction, cost modeling, logistics, manufacturing, quality control, ordering/delivery, integration, and reusability
- Execute long term agreements with strategic suppliers with an emphasis on meeting and exceeding cost, quality, and delivery goals
- Lead Supplier Quality, Development, and Performance teams to execute the strategic sourcing vision of the Mechanisms Supply Chain Team
- Be the "Go to" resource for Engineering, Supply Chain, Production, and Build Reliability stakeholders
- Determine the best value suppliers, NPI Sourcing Plans, Make vs. Buy, Should Cost, Buy complete strategies, Lead times optimization, etc.
- Build cross functional teams and champion continuous improvement initiatives to meet or exceed cost, quality, and delivery goals
- Conduct design for manufacturability reviews with support from Supplier Quality and Engineering teams
- Champion value add value engineering projects to improve part quality and reduce cost
- Manage a supplier bid-list with preferred suppliers. Mitigate sole/single source risk and ensure continuity of supply
- Proactively update Planet management and engineering teams on all critical supply issues
- Develop and maintain strong supplier relationships
- Assess supplier technical capability, equipment, capacity, and risk in procurement process
- Place POs for MRP Planning messages for Production parts
- Resolve purchase order discrepancies and invoice issues
- Attends MRB board meetings on a weekly basis to help determine disposition of nonconforming material
- Analyze procurement data and report metrics
What You Bring:
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Supply Chain, Finance or related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of planning and purchasing experience using an ERP system including MRP in a manufacturing environment, preferred with NetSuite
- Understands the world of NPI where fast paced R&D and rapid iteration meets world class manufacturing and test
- Ability to accurately prepare daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Must be a team player with a positive and proactive demeanor
- Knowledge of good manufacturing practices (GMP) and applicable Quality System Standards
- Experience with forecasting, budgets, ROI, TCO
- Experience with Bills of Material (BOMS’) structure and revision changes
- Technical Purchasing, manufacturing, or design of machined components
- Networked within the PCBA, Machined Parts, and contract manufacturing Industries
- Remarkable problem solving skills
- Must be a US person (e.g. citizen, permanent resident)
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.