Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Flight Software Team is responsible for creating and maintaining the guidance and control software for our fleet of Dove, Superdove and Skysat satellites. We also build tools, payload software, radio software and work on next generation initiatives. As a member of the FSW Team, you will work with our senior engineers to investigate anomalies in our existing space fleet, troubleshoot satellite manufacturing issues and help qualify components for space! This will involve working with a broad variety of disciplines within Planet, including EE, RF, Payload, Satellite operations and more!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Work with Flight Software team to understand existing and new satellite design for improved performance and robustness
- Work with Satellite Operations team to improve the capability and yield of on-orbit satellites
- Build and own dashboards for monitoring spacecraft performance
- Work with and augment satellite hardware test procedures
What You Bring:
- Proficient in C programming for embedded systems
- Proficient in C or Python, with some experience in the other language
- Comfortable working with Linux and Docker containers
- Capable of independent investigation
- Good and creative understanding of data analysis
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Broad and/or deep interest in computer architecture or subsystems -- such as storage, CPU, memory architecture, etc -- for embedded or PC-class systems
- Automotive or space experience or hobbies
- Other cool side hobbies!
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.