Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Residency:
We hold a bedrock belief in the power of the arts to enrich, challenge, and expand our understanding of life on Earth. We bring together art and science to build a culture of creative entrepreneurship and innovation at Planet.
Since its inception, Planet’s Artist in Residence Program has welcomed artists who work across a wide range of themes and mediums. Their work takes many forms, but always inspires new ways of understanding our changing planet, making and encountering art, and fostering our collective stewardship of the Earth.
Each residency lasts for three months, during which time the Artist in Residence (AiR) is given access to select Planet data and resources and provided with a $2,000 USD stipend.
The residency is designed to be fun and productive. AiRs are encouraged, though not required, to think of ways to engage the Planet community in their work, and many artists have been invited by various Planet teams to participate in dialogues and observe projects.
Due to COVID-19, Planet’s Artist in Residence Program will be a virtual-first program in 2021. We are hosting four Virtual Artist Residencies in connection with our San Francisco and Berlin offices:
- February Residency: February 1st to April 30th (Remote - US)
- April Residency: April 1st to June 30th (Remote - US and EMEA)
- June Residency: June 1st to August 31st (Remote - US)
- August Residency: August 1st to October 31st (Remote - US and EMEA)
If Selected As Our Artist in Residence You Will:
- Work shoulder-to-shoulder with our team of scientists and technologists, sparking new collaborations that bridge art, science, and the planet
- Create a work of art which draws on Planet imagery, technology, or values
- Influence Planet’s culture and inspire the organization through your artistic expression
- Share a company-wide presentation on your final work and residency experience
What You Bring:
- A passion for exploring the intersection of art and science
- A robust portfolio of works in any creative field (we love learning about new mediums!)
- A collaborative spirit, engaging with big thinkers and diverse communities
- A unique point of view and willingness to share it with others
What Makes You Stand Out:
- An interest in aerospace, earth imaging, science, or adjacent fields is encouraged
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our programs. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.